multiple "creation date/time" errors

katerpillar

I have a Maxtor Shared Storage drive that is connected to a peer-to-peer network. Everyone on the network accesses it as a shared drive. Currently I have Retrospect Express set up to duplicate it to the shared hard drive of one of the networked PCs (running XP Home). There is no problem with this.

However, I bought a similar Shared Storage drive, connected it to the network in a similar way, and tried to run exactly the same duplication to that instead of to the PC. It doesn't work. Every single file comes up with a "creation date/time" error.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

What is the exact drive type for the "similar shared storage drive"?

We have seen a problem with some linux based NAS devices that can result in errors with file dates during duplicate. We also found the exact same thing happens with a drag and drop of files from within Windows explorer.

Try doing a backup instead of a duplicate.

I had an idea and tried a small duplication with verification turned off and it worked. Is no verification a valid workaround or will I be losing something important?

To answer your questions:

What is the exact drive type for the "similar shared storage drive"?

It's the Maxtor Shared Storage II 1TB.

Try doing a backup instead of a duplicate.

Backing up works fine.

Sorry, I don't understand your answer. The problem is not that too many files are being duplicated, but that none of them are. If I do a straight copy using Windows Explorer, then try the duplicate, it shows that no files need duplicating. However, as soon as I change a file, Retrospect sees it needs duplicating but then fails to do so (gives me the creation date/time error).

Is turning off verification an OK thing to do?

A date/time verification error means the file has already been copied over so it is not failing to duplicate the file. It means that when we compared the copied file to the original file the the creation date/time has changed(this is due to the NAS device)

Here is a KB article on the issue you are experiencing. http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=8339&p=2

OK, thanks. I did search the knowledgebase before posting but this article paraphrases rather than quotes the error so I guess that's why I didn't find it.

I got Retrospect Express bundled with a Maxtor OneTouch. I can't help but wonder why Maxtor ships a software product that has problems with Linux with a Linux-based product.

Thanks for your help.