Need to reinstall client, new IP address

Hello!

I've inherited a Retrospect backup system, running on a Mac, and responsible for backing up, among other things, a RAID server with about 5TB of data attached. This is running the latest Mac Retrospect client (installed yesterday).

Now, as it happens, the IP address of the RAID server is changing, and it's currently running with two IP addresses on the same interface.

From looking through various old threads on different fora, I understand that I essentially need to delete the backup client, and start aqain. That's fine, but how do I delete it?

From the 'backup clients on network' screen, I can see the client I need to delete, with status 'not logged in'.

If I attempt to add the new IP address, using the 'add by address' button, I get "activator code conflict found".

If I highlight the old client, I'm asked for a password, to 'log in'. Is this a Retrospect-specific password? If so, I'm afraid I don't have it. How can I get round this? What does 'logging in' mean in this context?

Ultimately all I want is to have the client registered and working as a backup client using its new IP address.

Thanks for any help,

James

If I highlight the old client, I'm asked for a password, to 'log in'. Is this a Retrospect-specific password? If so, I'm afraid I don't have it. How can I get round this?

Yes, this is a Retrospect Client password, which is stored in:

/Library/Preferences/retroclient.state

Delete that file and then log the client into Retrospect's client database (following the steps you are already attempting). You will be prompted to assign a new password.

Dave

Thanks for the replies!

I wasn't able to 'forget' the client, unfortunately - the option was either greyed out or unavailable, I forget which.

However, I have reinstalled the client software, and the backup client has been rebooted. The client is now absent from the list.

So far so good, except that now I can't add it as a client!

From the 'Backup Clients on Network' window, if I invoke 'Add by Address', and add the IP address, I get:

"Activator code conflict found."

I suspect that this is because the client is running on two IP addresses. If I do "Test.." it does report "Found a backup client" with the IP address I want.

How can I add the client to Retrospect?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Was this ever figured out? I think I've got the same problem. I've got a client that used to be at one address and now is at a different address. It is not logged in (shows up in the client list as "Not logged in"). When I try to log it in, it tells me that it isn't responding (it's not at the old address), but when I try to add it by address at the new address, it tells me I have an activator conflict. How do I purge it from the old address so I can add it at the new one?

I'm running Retrospect 6.1.230 on 10.5.5 talking to client 6.2.222 running on 10.4.11.