6.1 Mac Bootable CD download not working?

Greetings,

I've replaced the drive on my Mac server and would like to use a bootable cd to do a full volume restore using a backup set on an external firewire drive. My set was created on version 6.1.x and my cd is version 6.0.x. This of course doesn't work - as documented elsewhere in this forum. So I tried downloading the 6.1 Bootable CD from the EMC site...

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/kb/article.asp?aid=8122&n=33&s=

Yet the .dmg image does not want to open. It produces the warning...

"Retrospect-6.1_comp.dmg" failed to mount due to error 95. (no mountable file systems).

This warning does not seem to be machine-specific as it comes up on the two computers that I've tried. Neither machine seems to have problems with .dmg images otherwise.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Your post has a bad link to the KB article.

The correct link is:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=8122&p=2

Did you see this caution in that KB article?

Quote:

Safari Users: Some users have reported download problems of this large file using Safari, which results in a corrupted download. If you have problems downloading this file, please try with Internet Explorer. We will work with Apple to identify the cause of this Safari compatibility issues.

Quote:

What am I missing?

Your download is corrupt. I tried it a couple of times using Firefox and Safari on a high-speed broadband connection, and was unable to get the download to complete without corruption.

Russ

I tried with Safari 3.0.4 on a moderate speed network and got to about 101 MB (at about 475 KB/sec) before getting "Operation could not be completed. Connection reset by peer"

Using Speed Download (one of my most valuable applications) I was able to successfully finished the download, although I saw the connection speed drop to zero half a dozen times. Happily, Speed Download doesn't just give up the ghost the way Safari (and apparently Firefox, as Russ found) does. And Speed Download was faster (when the connection was good) at around 605 KB/sec.

Whole download took about nine minutes.

Well worth the $25, or only $15 side-grade from any other commercial download manager (cough Download Queue cough)

http://www.yazsoft.com/

Quote:

Russ, are you saying that your download was also corrupted or was not corrupted?

It was corrupted in the sense that I could not get it to complete in multiple tries over a very fast broadband connection, such that it was unmountable, just as noted by the original poster, because the download was incomplete. Tried using Firefox (2.0.0.11) and Safari (3.0.4). Those are the only browsers available; IE, suggested in the KB article, stopped being available on the Mac many years ago. Perhaps if it were on an FTP server, that approach could be tried using various FTP clients.

Doesn't seem to be a false positive virus filter trigger - I've seen that before with our SonicWALL firewall, and that's not happening here. No log notices, and also tried with virus filtering disabled at the firewall. Doesn't seem to be a "don't fragment" / packet fragmentation issue due to MTU because I futzed with that, too. No virus filtering on client machines. MacOS 10.4.11, current security patch level.

Russ

Robin,

Just so my post isn't misleading, I have no need for this boot DVD; I just tried downloading it again last night for the poster; I had previously downloaded it back when the 6.1 boot CD was first released. I have to "roll my own" anyway because of the special hardware and software on our Xserve (Apple Hardware RAID, SoftRAID, etc.), and I just build one using the MacOS 10.4.4 install DVD as a starting point, edit the plists to put Retrospect in the Utility menu, etc., install necessary drivers and current Retrospect with RDU, Firefox, etc., burn a DVD.

Tried again today, still no good. Firefox gives up after 41 MB today (out of 270.8 MB); got further last night.

Russ

Thanks for all the help folks - I was missing that my downloads were incomplete. It doesn't seem to be platform or software related. Here's the list of combinations that I tried. They all failed...

Mac 10.4.11: Firefox 2.0.0.11

Mac 10.2.8 Server: Netscape 7.1

Mac 10.2.8 Server: IE 5.2

Mac 10.2.8 Server: Opera

PC (XP) IE 7

PC (XP) Firefox 2.0.0.11

PC (Vista) IE 7

PC (Vista) Cute FTP 7.2 Pro

A fix on the server side might solve this then.

Thanks again!