Retrospect 6.1 won't configure Pioneer DVR-109

I have tried several times to get this drive configured for back up after letting it work over night it is still not responding according to the force quit window.

I have tried both DVD- & DVD+ but neither seems to work.

I read on this very forum that it is supported.

This is the stock drive in my G5 dual 2.7, I am on 10.4.8.

Any help with this would be greaty appreciated as I really need to back up my data.

Many thanks in advance!

Alan Hayes

Memphis,Tn.

Alan,

It may be that you don't have any RDU (Retrospect Driver Update) installed. Does the Retrospect Log (Reports > Log) show an RDU version when it launches? Should show something like this:

Code:

Retrospect version 6.1.126

launched at 5/24/2007 9:59 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.9.102

The RDU files are here:

Retrospect Driver Update version history

You might want to try 6.1.9.102 - some people are reporting problems with 6.1.10.100.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I encountered the same problem lately with my two Macs. The Retrospect 6.1.126 surely back-uped to my third party DVD drives with RDU 6.1.9.102 before this happened.

Once I try to configure the third party drive Retrospect doesn't respond (not freezed). This is the same situation as Alan ( and found similar reports in this forum). Interestingly, when I forced terminate Retrospect, DVD media is clean.

My feeling is this starts happening after some MacOS X update (to 10.4.6 or 7). Something wrong happens with an old version of roxio toast, too. Apple did something wrong.

I have been depending on Retrospect but this problem and elem.c problem make me pessimistic.

Russ,

May I ask you if you are using the latest MacOS X(10.4.9) and DVD drives that needs Retrospect's configure routine? If you are, we can have hope.

Ichiro

(I'm afraid not to provide specific information. This is mainly because my Retrospect has menus, buttons and instructions in Japanese)

Quote:

May I ask you if you are using the latest MacOS X(10.4.9) and DVD drives that needs Retrospect's configure routine?

Yes and no; we are now using Mac OS 10.4.9 (server). But we have never done anything but backup to tape.

We used Retrospect 2.0 through 4.x on our ASIP server (ASIP 4.2 through ASIP 6.3) to DDS-2 DAT, and have used Retrospect 6.0 and 6.1 on our Xserve G5 (Mac OS 10.4.2 through 10.4 9) to Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1u PacketLoader (SCSI) attached to an ATTO UL4D. I have never done DVD backup except one time to test a problem that a poster in these forums was having. Our Xserve's DVD drive is a Matsushita UJ-845, and it was recognized by Retrospect and worked fine without configuring.

I'm a big fan of autoloaders, and don't use DVD because of its small capacity.

Our planning has always been to choose an already-supported drive for Retrospect. Retrospect's support of DVD drives has been, shall we say, slow in coming. Search these forums.

Russ

Just a tip from a fellow user:

I use the DVR-109 in an external firewire enclosure. After updating to the 6.1.10.100 driver update, I started having problems writing to the drive (Retrospect would complain about "error 100 - the device rejected the command").

I thought it was my enclosure going bad, so I bought a new one, and, surprise, same problem. It wasn't until I stumbled on this discussion that I thought about rolling back the driver. I rolled back to the 6.1.7.101 driver, and that seems to work fine for me. (I didn't re-check the 6.1.8 or 6.1.9 ones.)

For the record, I'm on a PMG5 1.8 DP, 4 GB RAM, OSX 10.4.9, all the latest updates, and Retrospect 6.1.126. Firmware on the DVR-109 is 1.58.

Something clearly happened between driver releases 6.1.7 and 6.1.10, and it foobared the DVR-109. I hope they can figure it out.

Quick follow-up:

I went back and tried the 6.1.7.101, 6.1.8.101, 6.1.9.102, and retried the 6.1.10.100 driver updates. The first three worked fine, but when I got to the last one, no dice. So, something changed for the worse with this last update.

Quote:

Quick follow-up:

I went back and tried the 6.1.7.101, 6.1.8.101, 6.1.9.102, and retried the 6.1.10.100 driver updates. The first three worked fine, but when I got to the last one, no dice. So, something changed for the worse with this last update.

Thanks, CTI, for the follow-up that confirms what others have been seeing. It's not often that someone does such thorough regression testing and then posts the results.

Hopefully EMC support and the programmer(s) will be able to isolate and fix the problem in this most recent RDU update.

Russ