Ecrix VXA backup fails

We've been using a combination of an Ecrix VXA with Retrospect since the end of last year, with a couple of revisions of Retro, CPU and Mac OS.

About one time in three the backup will fail (hang until stopped by operator) within the first few minutes, always while accessing the first volume in the list to be backed up. Updates to as listed below have not helped.

Any help to solve this problem appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Current parameters:

Retrospect 5.0.205 on

400MHz G3 B&W with 128Mb RAM running

Mac OS X 10.1.4 with

Adaptec 2940U2B SCSI-2 card connected to

Ecrix VXA RakPax 33/66GB using Ecrix VXA tapes

TYPICAL EROR MESSAGE FROM LOG:

======================================================================

+ Recycle backup using BL BU Daily Master (VXA) at 7/5/2002 9:00 PM

To backup set BL BU VXA Friday 1…

7/5/2002 9:00:11 PM: Recycle backup: The backup set was reset

- 7/5/2002 9:00:11 PM: Copying Posim 2.10MU V3 folder on Server 1…

7/5/2002 9:00:11 PM: Connected to Server 1

Additional error information for device "Ecrix VXA DC" [0:10],

Sense > f0 00 03 00 00 00 01 18 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 00

(ECRIX |VXA-1 |2A6A)

Trouble writing: "1-BL BU VXA Friday 1" (209715200), error 100 (device rejected command).

7/8/2002 10:22:01 AM: Execution stopped by operator.

Remaining: 28 files, 324.3 MB

Completed: 1 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 61:21:50 (00:01:37 idle/loading/preparing)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 667 Mhz G4, 768 MB RAM, MacOS X 10.1.5 (up to date). It's got a RADEON 8500, a RAGE 128 PRO and an Adaptec 2906 SCSI. I'm running the latest Adaptec 2906 drivers (1.1 I think) and I've checked and I have only one set of drivers for it. I'm running Retrospect 5 with the latest patch and the 2.8 update. I'm backing up to an Ecrix VXA-1 SCSI tape drive; it's firmware is the latest available from their WEB page.

The Ecrix has a 50 pin SCSI connnector and the case that it is in is terminated with an active, type 2 (not SLICK) terminator. Termination power is present (LED indicator).The cables, case, terminator and tape drive have been checked out many times and again recently. They are all first class components (I do SCSI for a living).

Under MacOS 10.1.5 Retrospect 5 hangs during a backup. Usually it is within a few hundred megabytes of starting but it's never got past 3 GB of my 27 GB backup. The killer is that if I reboot under MacOS 9.2.2

(pure except for ConflictCatcher 9 and the 2906 driver), Retrospect 5 for MacOS 9 runs perfectly and backs

up everything.

All of my file systems are HFS+.

I've checked everything and ready anything I can find on this problem. I do not have the multiple driver problem. I do not have problems with my hardware. The tape drive works just fine. I'm rather fustrated at not being able to use my backup software under MacOS X. I'm looking for things to try to get to the bottom of this.

Is the 2906 driver for MacOS X the problem? Retrospect 5? If the 2906 is not good for this use (even though

it has been fine on the same hardware (under MacOS 9) for quite some time), what should I use instead? Please give me a list of choices and yes I understand that they are not an endorsement.

Where do I go from here?

I notice that the firmware for your tape drive is out of date. You should get the downloader and the latest firmware updated from the Ecrix site and update the drive. The updater only runs from MacOS 9 so you will need to reboot into it to accomplish this.

Having upgraded the VXA firmware, Retrospect now behaves flawlessly. Thank you :-)

One issue that may be helpful to others, the Adaptec 2940U2B SCSI-2 card, is listed as unsupported under OS X. In reality, it has worked just fine for us. If you have one, try it out before you rush off and spend loads of cash on a new board!

Archived