Help for a Retrospect Beginner

Hi All,

Having some issues with Retrospect, I am familiar with Backup Exec and Arcserve, but Retrospect throws me for a loop.

My goal is to backup a Windows 2003 Server to tape. I would like to backup the following.

C: All Files

D: All Files

Exchange Server

But whenever I try to back it up, it only produces about 300MB of data, where there is well over 200GB of data there, Im sure I am doing something wrong when I select my sources.

The company is running version 7.0.

Thanks!

Have you bought the Exchange Server Agent?

Is it set up according to Appendix B in the Retrospect manual (pages 333-344)?

How many disks do you have? (Just C and D?)

Have you updated to the latest Retrospect version? Have you updated to the latest Retrospect Driver Update?

http://www.emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/updates/retrospect/archive/#UPDATETYPE41

Good Morning,

I have the Exchange Server agent installed.

I am backing up the contents of C & D Drive.

The version is 7.0.326.

Ive gone through and through the manual.

I have check it this morning, most of the Directrories have the following message "No Files need to be copied"

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

If this is not a recycle backup or the first backup to a specific backup set, then Retrospect by default only copies new and changed files. It sounds like you're experiencing normal behavior.

If this is the first backup of a source, then I suggest you double-check what selector you're using, as an incorrectly configured one could invalidate most selection criteria.

No, the action isn't set for the members (tapes in the backup set), the action is set for the execution and effects the entire backup set. If you have multiple backup sets, and you want to run a "full" backup, overwriting previous data, then you should run recycle backups. However, if you are going to do this, you will probably want to come up with a scheme for rotating between backup sets. That way you won't be stuck without backups if a schedule doesn't execute for some reason.

We are using 20 200/400GB tapes.

I just want to back up the contents of the C & D drive + exchange to what ever tape is in the drive, erasing the previous data.

Sorry, this is a bit confusing, Backup Exec is much clearer on how a backup is run.

Select Directories + Exchange

Select Media Set

Select Full Backup with overwrite

Select Schedule

Thats pretty much it, I want the same thing to happen with Retrospect, but it seem infiniatly harder.

Quote:

Sorry, this is a bit confusing, Backup Exec is much clearer on how a backup is run.

Select Directories + Exchange

Select Media Set

Select Full Backup with overwrite

Select Schedule

Thats pretty much it, I want the same thing to happen with Retrospect, but it seem infiniatly harder.

It's the same in Retrospect. In fact, it's even simpler since the last two are actually a single step. See the manual page 132. Choose "Recylce" backup, or optionally "New Backup Set". Make sure the tape is either properly named or erased, since Retrospect will never overwrite a tape with data (to avoid data loss).

Archived