Backup Server not backing up correct files

I'm backing up 2 laptops to a Mac server (G5's hard drives) over an ethernet network using the Backup Server feature of Retrospect 6. The server is running OS X 10.3.9. Restrospect is version 6.0.212.

The file selectors says:

Include files matching - Selector: All Files Except Cache Files

but always exclude files matching - Selector: Music OR Selector: Spotlight-V100 files

When the script runs the backup log reports it was successful, however the only files backed up are a folder called ".Spotlight-V100" and 5 files in it. Yet there are new photos, changes to Entourage's email database, etc. on each laptop and none of them are getting backed up!

Any ideas why this isn't working right?

Maybe I should just make a regular script and forget the whole backup server thing. I just want it to back up changes at night anyway. I've never really understood WHY I should use backup server.

Hi,

Backup server allows Retrospect to run for a period of time rather than at a specified time, this way if there are any backup sources that fail Retrospect has the opportunity to try again.

For the selector - I would suggest creating a duplicate of the All Files Except Cache Files selector, then putting additional exclusion statements on it. Also, be sure to preview your selector to see what will be backed up.

Thanks for the advice. But that didn't seem to help anything. Also I've discovered the same behavior (not backing up new or changed files, and backing up the ones that were excluded) is also happening on several regular backup scripts set to backup other machines, not just the Backup Server scripts for laptops. They all seem to get the Spotlight V-100 folder that I've specifically excluded, and fail to get new or changed files that it should get with "Include all files except cache files." These are incremental backups, not the first time it is run.

Again, the selector says:

Include All Files except Cache Files

But exclude Selector Music or Selector Spotlight V-100 files

Quote:

Again, the selector says:

Include All Files except Cache Files

But exclude Selector Music or Selector Spotlight V-100 files

Can I assume from your terminology that you have written a custom selector (i.e., one listed under Special> Selectors)? Within a script, the same feature is termed "file selection criteria."

If so, what did you name the selector?

If you go to the misbehaving script and click on "Selecting," exactly what does it show?

The behavior you're seeing is exactly what you'd expect if you created the custom selector you describe above, and then wrote it in your script thusly: "and always exclude [My Custom Selector]."

Nothing is custom as far as I know. I believe the selectors chosen are standard ones. I simply opened the script window, clicked on "Selecting" it shows this:

Include files matching

Selector All Files Except Cache Files

But always exclude files matching

Selector Music

or Selector Spotlight-V100 files

The options chosen are:

• Back up every one day

Verification on

Match only same files

Don't backup FileVault sparseimages

OK, I'll drop that one and see what happens tonight during the regular backup time. I don't recall creating it, but maybe someone else did back when we upgraded to version 6. I looked at it's definition and it excludes a folder whose name contains ".Spotlight-V100" in it.

It excludes a folder whose name contains ".Spotlight-V100" in it. Perhaps you're right about it making it backwards acting. Like a double-negative in a sentence.

I've deleted that condition in the script and we'll see what happens tonight when the laptop backup script (backup server) runs. Thanks for the reply.

Archived