Unable to boot from Retrospect 6.1 Boot CD

I downloaded the Retrospect 6.1 Boot CD .dmg file. I then used this file to create a CD. Here's what I did. I launched the .dmg file and then opened the container that appeared on the desktop. I then selected all of the 15 files and folders that were contained in the folder and dragged them to a blank CD. I then burned this CD. I tried to boot from this CD by shutting down my computer and then holding down the "C" key on restart. The machine booted using the System on my hard drive, not the one on the CD. I then opened the Startup Disk control panel and the Retrospect 6.1 Boot CD that I had created appeared as an option for startup. I selected the CD and pressed the Restart button in the control panel. Again, the machine started up from the System on the hard drive, and not the System on the CD.

I must be doing something wrong in the creation of the CD. Can someone help? Thanks.

I am running an October 2005 15 inch PowerBook and I downloaded the .dmg file from the Retrospect site yesterday so it is surely the most current.

Robert

Lennart, thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that was the procedure for creating this CD. However, after burning the .dmg file to a CD using Disk Utility as you suggested, I was still unable to use the CD to boot my computer.

I tried to boot the computer with the CD by restarting with the "C" key held down and also by selecting the System on the CD in the System Startup control panel. In neither case will the machine boot up from the CD. The situation, however, is different than my earlier experience when I was using an improperly created CD and the CD wasn't being read at all and I would get a boot from my hard drive system. Now, after having created the boot cd the correct way, I can hear the machine reading data from the CD for several minutes. But in the end, I wind up with a blue screen with nothing on it and I need to do a forced shutdown by holding the power key down for 5 or more seconds.

Does anyone have any further thoughts on this? Thanks.

Robert

Well, I gave it 50 minutes to do its thing and I was still left with a blue screen. I then tried the Boot CD on another Powerbook I have, a 3-year old DVI Powerbook. I ultimately was presented with a screen that allowed me to install Retrospect. So it appears that the Boot CD is fine and that the problem is either with my model of Powerbook - which is the October 2005 model - or with the CD drive in that Powerbook. Any further thoughts? If the problem is related to the particular Powerbook, I would assume it can be tested and a fix posted. If it's related to my CD drive, then I'd like to know so that I can take the issue up with Apple.

Thanks. Robert

Given that the CD I created on my October 2005 Powerbook will boot my DVI Powerbook but not my October 2005 15 inch Powerbook, it would seem that I've created the CD properly. As I see it, there are probably 2 issues remaining:

Either there is something inherent about the chips or software running in the October 2005 15 inch Powerbook that won't allow it to be booted by the Retrospect 6.1 Boot CD. If this is the source of the problem, I would think that Dantz should have an answer to this problem by correcting its boot cd image. Or perhaps the CD burner's ability to read the Boot CD that I created is the problem, and the problem has nothing to do with the other aspects of the machine.

In this latter regard, it would be helpful to know if anyone who has one of these machines with the dual layer DVD burner has a similar problem when trying to boot with the Retrospect 6.1 Boot CD. If not, then the problem would indeed appear to be with my particular burner's ability to read the CD it created and it has nothing to do with the boot image provided by Dantz or aspects of my machine other than its optical drive.

Robert

Quote:

I ultimately was presented with a screen that allowed me to install Retrospect

The Retrospect Disaster Recovery CD does not have an installer of any type. A successful boot from the CD will result in the program launching and working within the documented limits.

So either:

A) You are describing what you are seeing wrong

or

B) You have done something wrong in regards to the CD

I'm sorry, but I errantly described the screen that I got on my DVI Powerbook when I booted from the Boot CD. What launched was Retrospect (which was named in the upper left corner of the screen where the application is shown) and it was a screen that gave you various language options, one of which was English. If this is what I was supposed to see, and I believe it is, then the Boot CD is fine and it just doesn't seem to work in my October 2005 Powerbook.

Again, I'm sorry about the confusion.

Robert

Archived