Anyway to create a single catalog file from a backup set?

I have a job that I added media to and then re-archived, which of course only added the new media. (a good thing)

I'd like to 'merge' the 2 so that someday when I do a restore, and have forgotten this I will just have to tell Retro to restore the project. As it is now, I'd have to look in ther recent backups window, sort by Media Set and then hope that bu is still in the log. What if I send it to someone wlse to restore? Also, for some reason, the first Main archive is not in the log so those folders (1.3 TB don't even show up !

If I go to restore and click the earliest date 'browse' button the window pops up and I see NOTHING. So that's not much use. Actually it has a green dot, and in the media sets if I click the one with the most files copied, I still get an empty directory window even though Retro says it has backed up 831 files.

There is no way to keep track or printout a list of what you have backed up in an orderly fashion, unless you add things to a spreadsheet or document. Seems a little weak to me.

Is there something I am missing (quite possible!) or is this not even possible?

If I go to MediaSets and click the archive I get a listing of what it backed up when I click the 'Backups' button but no size (which would help me) and if I select the Backup I think I want, and select retrieve. the window opens. but it's blank. The drives are in the changer.

Should I rebuild the catalog? Will this get back the missing session? Not that I want to do it (as it seems to take almost as much time as the backup itself took). It seems like this would be a basic function of doing a backup and I am puzzled why it's not there. or (if it is) why it's not obvious.

Thanks...eli

• Like 1

If you go to Past Backups and select a date, you should be able to see what was copied on that date when you click Browse. If you can not seen the contents, then you could have an issue with the catalog file.

1) Go to media sets>members and make sure the members are not marked as missing.

2) If nothing is marked as missing, you can try to stop and start the Retrospect Engine under System Preferences and try again.

3) If restarting the engine does not allow you to browse any of the past backups under Past Backups, then your next step will be to perform a catalog rebuild under Media Sets>rebuild

Even a rebuild didn't make the data I backed up show up again. The way I see it is to go to restore, select search for filers in mediasets, and then I see ALL the backups I did.

I am still looking for a simple way to list the catalog of a given Media Set.

Currently I add things to s spreadsheet I am keeping, but don't see why O would have to do that, since there is a catalog file, I just can't read it.

Makes no sense...what If I have to pring out my ctalog to send to someone so they can see what is on the backup set? Now at least I have a spreadsheet, but that is more than a little clunky !