Cannot use F12 to close DVD drive door after inserting disc

If you backup to a DVD set, when Retrospect 6 (using Panther 10.3.3, on a dual 1Ghz G4) ejects a DVD, there is no way to use the F12 key to close the drive door. Instead, you have to push the drive tray until the motor retracts it. That works, but it would be nice if the keyboard sequence worked as it should.

This is not a Retrospect issue, but is instead a Mac OS X issue. Once any other program loads a driver for a device, the OS gives up its control over that device. So OS X no longer passes the keyboard press to the device.

There's nothing Dantz can do to change this behavior.

Dave

"There's nothing Dantz can do to change this behavior."

I guess not. Even if other programs like Toast seem to have no issue with this. I don't know why. So why doesn't the book or anything else at least say this to save the time and frustration of trying other methods.

"Once any other program loads a driver for a device, the OS gives up its control over that device."

So by your assertion, once I use iTunes to burn a CD, then Retrospect wouldn't be able to do a bus acquire on the device unless I rebooted? If you're going to make operating system arguments, please qualify them with a valid example (as a counterexample, Toast handles this case just fine).

Retrospect is good, but every now and then some simple functionality seems to be missing.

/Marty

24 years as a system programmer and doesn't believe in exclusive device locking

Quote:

So by your assertion, once I use iTunes to burn a CD, then Retrospect wouldn't be able to do a bus acquire on the device unless I rebooted?

No, my assertion is that once you use iTunes to burn a CD then Retrospect won't be able to acquire the device until you quit iTunes.

You'll notice that once you quit Retrospect, the OS can again map the keyboard to the drive door.

Try it yourself; burn a disk w/Toast, then launch iTunes (without quitting Toast) and see if you can burn from iTunes.

Dave

(who'd rather test it himself and provide step-by steps, but doesn't have access to a CD burner on his ancient OS X Powerbook)

1) No other application is using the DVD, just Retrospect

2) Retrospect has full control and access of the drive

3) It cannot use the F12 function key to control the door

Retrospect is missing functionality -- like I said in the original post.

If an engineer from Retrospect would like to check this out, I'd appreciate it; I'd like to get off the speculation train.

You're speculating that Dantz engineers are not already aware of this? After the program has been available for OS X for what, three years?

When Apple removed the physical eject keys from the built in optical drives they ship, they wrote the keyboard mapping into their driver. But they didn't provide API's to this hook, so Dantz has no way to include this feature into the driver that they use (writing to unpublished API's is generally a Bad Thing).

http://list.dantz.com/mailman/listinfo/mac_keyboard_eject

Have you tried using the Eject menu extra? I don't know if it works or not, but it's easy to try. Just drag eject.menu from:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras

up into the menu bar.

Dave

Using the Eject menu extra exhibits the same behavior as using the key itself.

For others reading this, remember that before running a DVD backup, make sure the drive door is OPEN, since at first DVD request by Retrospect, there may be *no way* to open the bay. Subsequent disc requests will open the bay, it's just that after inserting new media you'll have to push it closed by hand. After the last DVD is complete, the door will remain closed until you terminate Retrospect and can open it via the F12 key or by moving the DVD icon to the trash.

I've signed up for the mailing list -- thanks for setting it up (I didn't realize you worked for Dantz). Hopefully this can be sorted out by pressuring Apple to document the call.

• 7 months later...

Something constructive first:

Use an old credit card or hotel room key to push the button on the drive. You just have to slide it under the door on the right hand side.

Quote:

My understanding is the API's now exist, but we have not yet implemented them

Any ETA? Your post is about four months old. I would have expected that it would have been fixed by now.

Archived