Random hangs while backing up clients

I'm having an issue with random freezes while running a backup script. Sometimes the freeze happens when connecting to a client, other times while a client is being backed up. The only way to get out of the situation is to do a force quit of Retrospect on the backup server.

The behavior does not seem to be client-specific. It occurrs on different clients at seemingly random occasions. Additionally, it has happened to me with all three platforms, Linux, OS X, and Windows.

Is anyone else seeing this phenomenon?

Thanks,

Bryan

Quote:

Is anyone else seeing this phenomenon?

Can you provide more information?

You give absolutely _no_ details about your setup or exactly what you're seeing.

- For example, what sort of Backup Sets do you use?

- What sort of backup devices are you writing to?

- What flavor of Macintosh, and what SCSI host adapter (if any) does it have?

- What exactly is a "random freeze?"

Dave

Quote:

You give absolutely _no_ details about your setup or exactly what you're seeing.

Geez, sorry. Such strong words! I thought I explained it just fine, as Robin responded with the exact symtom I'm seeing.

Quote:

What exactly is a "random freeze?"

A software freeze that occurs at various times during an attempted backup, hence the word random. There is no set pattern in the behavior.

I guess you enjoy kicking people in the nuts around for lack of details. You seem to do it in numerous posts on here.

Bryan

Quote:

I thought I explained it just fine, as Robin responded with the exact symptom I'm seeing.

If you read much of this Forum you'll see that a great many problems users experience with Retrospect stem from hardware configurations that are either directly unsupported with Retrospect, or just not well supported by Mac OS X. Why would you purpously withold information about OS version or installed hardware when you're asking others for help?

If you're having communication issues, information about your network can help; subnets, multi-homing, interface, etc.

>I guess you enjoy kicking people in the nuts around for lack of details.

>You seem to do it in numerous posts on here.

I often express my surprise that people posting on a BBS that's designed for user-to-user support would report their problems with minimum information. It makes it harder for _them_ to get an answer from others who might be willing and able to help. But in the long run I help some fellow Retrospect users here who might otherwise have had to pay for tech support.

Dave

It definitely happens during local backups to external firewire drives as well as during backups to afp servers. Much less of a problem in R5. As noted previously, CPU usage is way too high, and the app is way too unresponsive (if it has been hidden, for example, and the user tries to view status) at certain times during the backup. I'm using Retrospect Desktop without any clients.

Archived