Can't unhide application

After hiding the Retrospect application, during a backup server operation, it can get into a state where all the windows are hidden, none of the menus are operational, and therefore the only way to proceed is to Force Quit.

Is this a known problem? When will there be a fix?

What type of backup device are you using?

Backup using a lot of CPU resourced and at some stages of backup, Retrospect may not respond as quickly as we would like. If you wait, it will probably become available later.

If you are using a VXA drive (or other tape drive) then you may be experiencing a crash or freeze which will be fixed in next weeks RDU release. Join the RDU announcement list at list.dantz.com for notification.

Quote:

After hiding the Retrospect application, during a backup server operation, it can get into a state where all the windows are hidden, none of the menus are operational, and therefore the only way to proceed is to Force Quit.

Hiding an Macintosh application hides not only the windows, but the menus as well.

-How are you showing the application? From the Doc? From the Apple menu?

- Are you reporting that the Retrospect menus are visible, but the windows are still hidden?

- If you select "Hide Retrospect: from the Retrospect menu, then select "Show All" from the Finder menu, what happens?

- Are other applications running? Do they have any visible windows?

I've never seen Retrospect (or any other application) show its menu bar but hide its windows (I don't think the Mac can even do that). If no other programs have open windows, and the Retrospect menu bar is visible but there are no visible Retrospect windows, that would be a bug.

But it doesn't happen on my machine. Perhaps you might take the time to provide the Forum with a detailed description of your hardware/software setup?

Dave

Here is my setup:

15 inch Al Powerbook

Panther plus all updates

Macintosh retrospect server backing up local disks plus Windows XP client

Backing up to Powerbook's internal DVD, onto DVD-R.

The problem was that I hid Retrospect and then subsequently when switching back to Retrospect (by clicking on the Retrospect icon in the Dock) it only showed the menus. Nothing I did could make the windows appear.

If I remember correctly, it showed the 'Backup Server" menu bar; most of the menu items were disabled; the ones that weren't disabled ("Print" was one of them I think?) didn't do anything if selected.

"Show All" didn't make the Retrospect windows appear. Other apps restored and hid OK.

It is difficult to recall exactly what Retrospect was doing at the moment it was hidden - but I think it could have been "scanning" the client. I don't think it ever started writing anything to the DVD (as I never heard the disk whirr).

Woll

Quote:

It is difficult to recall exactly what Retrospect was doing at the moment it was hidden - but I think it could have been "scanning" the client.

You mean it was only hidden for a moment?

- How long did you let it go before resorting to a force quit?

Retrospect is often slow to respond when it is in the midst of its executions. Perhaps a bit of patience was in order in this case?

Dave

I meant that, at the point when I hid it, it was doing a scan of a source.

It was hidden for some time, and then I tried to unhide it, but nothing I did would make the windows appear. The menus appeared, but were not operational.

I think that I left it for quite some time to try and unhide itself (10 minutes or so?). Much longer than it would normally take to complete the scanning operation.

Archived