Second C:\drive in Client properties.

Good Morning!

I set up a client and choose 'selected volumes' in Properties and only highlight the c:\drive.

Everything is fine...then one day the client drive can't be found when a Proactive backup runs (yes, it was found before).

I go back into properties and there is now another C:\drive.

I highlight that one as well and close the properties.

The next time the proactive job runs I get an error 'can't connect to drive' or 'drive unavailable'....and then I get a drive connected and job processing.

Any thoughts?

<This has happened a couple times. Latest versions of Retro are running...and client is Win7>

Well, it's happened on another system.

I know the system(client) was set up and operational, then this morning the Proactive Backup ran and threw an error:

"Can't access volume OS (C:) on 'Client Name', error -1102 ( drive missing/unavailable)"

I go into the client and look at the setitngs...sure enough, there is now ANOTHER C:\drive.

--------------------------------

Ok...I just found out that the HD was changed on this client...and the others.

1 was a ghosted image from a spindle to SSD

2 was a Retroepect restore to a bad SSD

3 was a new drive with a new install

We have our system set to back up just the C:\drive Volume(I manually set that in each client). This was we don't have to edit all the scripts and exclude other drives.

The quesiton now is...why does it list 2 C:\drives and what can resolve this.

---------------------------

Tech Support to the rescue:

Retrospect for Windows uses the Path, creation date, capacity and some meta data to identify volumes on Windows computers. If some property of the disk changes, it can cause Retrospect to no longer recognize it as the same disk. As an example, updating from Windows Vista to Windows 7 can cause Retrospect to think it is a different disk. In theory, the install of disk level security software or maybe an anti-virus program could also make the disk appear different and cause Retrospect to no longer think it is the same disk.

The best solution is to go into Configure>volumes and forget the unavailable version of that disk. Then edit the script and add the correct source to the script.

Thank you for using Retrospect.

The Retrospect Support Team