Retro Express 5.0 storage sets & media --> Retro 9 media set

Mac Powerbook 2.2GHz

8GB Memory

OS X 10.6.8

Need to resurrect 30MB of digital files from old Retrospect 5.0 backup set. The media is a well-kept, nary-scratched CD-RW.

I can open Retrospect 6.0 and run FIND to the point where it will let me see that the files in their enclosing folder are in the set. Upon "RETRIEVE" Retro 6 fails and will not go any further. [Presumably because of incompatibility with OS X 10.6.8].

I downloaded the trial version of Retrospect 9, and can't seem to figure out [by trial and error, by help files, or by forum topics] how to access these Retro 5 archives on my hard drive. Nor can I insert the first Media disk comprised by the Storage Set to try to rebuild a catalog.

Admittedly, I could just be getting tripped up new terminology in this advanced version.

Whizkids, I welcome your help/condolences. My apologies if this is in the wrong forum thread or if I've provided insufficient System and conundrum stats.

I downloaded the trial version of Retrospect 9, and can't seem to figure out [by trial and error, by help files, or by forum topics] how to access these Retro 5 archives on my hard drive. Nor can I insert the first Media disk comprised by the Storage Set to try to rebuild a catalog.

There are two issues:

By default, access to optical media is turned off in Retrospect 8/9. To turn it on, you need to follow the steps in http://kb.retrospect...al-Support-Mac/.

However, the Retro 9 documentation indicates that the only earlier version backup files that Retro 8/9 can read are Retro 6.x. Assuming this is really true, you would need to copy the Retro 5 data to a Retro 6 backup set, which puts you back at square one.

I suspect that Lennart's implied message, that you'd be best to try to perform your restore using Retro 6 if possible, is probably the way to go.