Restrospect Deletes Windows System Restore Points

Using Retrospect Express 7.6.123 (not HD), Driver Update and Hot Fix 7.6.3.102, on Windows XP SP3.

I never noticed this before but whenever I recycle a backup or manually groom my backups to make space, Retrospect Express deletes all my Windows XP System Restore points.

Why? How do I stop that from happening? Or can I? Can someone clarify if this is "expected behaviour". I have searched the forums through Dantz, Seagate and Roxio, and Googled, but to no avail. All I see is comments about Retrospect Restore Points. Are they they same -- i.e. does Retrospect use Windows Restore Points? If so why would Retrospect Express delete my manual and automated restore points.

• 1 month later...

Retrospect does not have the ability to delete your restore points. We have no APIs to the Windows OS to do such a thing. Retrospect does not use Restore Points in any way.

It is possible that the recycle of 100's of GBs of Retrospect data is causing Windows to see that as a major system change and restore points get purged. But that is just my theory. Make sure Microsoft is not saving restore points for your backup storage disk.

Retrospect does not have the ability to delete your restore points. We have no APIs to the Windows OS to do such a thing. Retrospect does not use Restore Points in any way.

It is possible that the recycle of 100's of GBs of Retrospect data is causing Windows to see that as a major system change and restore points get purged. But that is just my theory. Make sure Microsoft is not saving restore points for your backup storage disk.

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

For sure Windows restore points in Windows 7 64 bit are a bit "flaky".

I have found that Diskeeper must be set to defrag using VSS friendly methods to prevent wiping out restore points.

I have experimented with that and found the restore points survive a reboot with Diskeeper VSS settings set correctly.

However, doing a Retrospect duplicate or backup seems to wipe the restore points also.

I think there is something going on between the VSS writers and the mysterious restore point disappearance.

I blame Microsoft as much as anybody for this, as the restore points since Windows 7 have definitely been of concern to many users. :(

We wait with little hope for Microsoft to patch the Windows 7 system to once and for all fix the disappearing restore point issue.

BTW... there is no restore point setting active on my backup media, only the source media.

Backup media is a WD 2 TB USB drive.

Thanks again for your reply.

Kind regards, Phil.