Recycling Backup: After Resetting Media Set –> Waiting For Media

Hello everyone,

I think, I'm missing some understanding about working with Recycling Backups. May someone please give me the needed hint?

We are using two RDX-cartridges, changing them once a week. When each cartridge comes back into play, it should get a fresh volume of data. Therefore, a skript with "Recycling Backup"-option is started at suitable time. The following backups for the actual week are normal backups (incremental).

The problem:

After changing the cartridge, the backup-script starts at given time, logs and mails some thing like

"8/6/2011 12:33:36 AM: Recycle backup: The Media Set was reset"

and a few minutes after that, when Retrospect has finished collecting current information about data to be saved, another mail indicates

"Script Backup Server: waiting for media"

How may I tell Retrospect to use the cartridge whose content/catalog it just reset? Which option have I missed to activate for the Media Set? Any suggestions?

(My workaround so far: Stopping the stucked scripts, restart Retrospect engine, initiating the recycling backup manual)

How may I tell Retrospect to use the cartridge whose content/catalog it just reset?

The Recycle script option only effects the Catalog file, it does _not_ touch the Member(s) of the Media Set.

The program is quite careful with your valuable data; if you want to erase a Member of a Media Set you need to explicitly do so. For tapes that would be in the Storage Devices window.

The Recycle script option only effects the Catalog file, it does _not_ touch the Member(s) of the Media Set.

The program is quite careful with your valuable data; if you want to erase a Member of a Media Set you need to explicitly do so. For tapes that would be in the Storage Devices window.

I see, that makes things a lot clearer to me. Thank you so far, CallMeDave. Is erasing a Media Set member scriptable or have we to erase it manually after inserting the cartridge?

What about the "cleaning"-option (I think the english version uses "grooming") of a Media Set? When we determine a static number of backups being hold on the cartridge - is there still any need for using the recycling-option? I suggest, the catalog-file would be updated, when an older backup is erased, wouldn't it?

As I mentioned in my original post, we are using a RDX-Drive and its RDX-cartridges are containing 2,5"-SATA HDDs.

Sorry. I didn't know that and assumed you were talking about tape cartridges.

That makes your original problem even harder to understand.

When I recycle a disk media set in Retrospect 7.6 for Windows, the data is erased from the disk.

I don't know how to help you with your problem.