Rdx Drive Procedure Help

Hi,

Just got Retrospect for Mac installed on 10.6. Got an external HP Storageworks RDX500 drive.

As I understand it you are to format the drives in disk utility to HFS+ format before using.

I've done this and retrospect has been giving me various errors when using the disk.

Error -208

Content Unrecognized

Invalid Media

Some of these errors are after a Retrospect erase.

Can someone give me the definitive process for using these RDX drives? Appreciated.

Steven

What kind of media set do you use?

The media is 500gb rdx drives. It is connected via USB.

Steven

"Media set" is a Retrospect term. (It used to be called "Backup set" in earlier versions.)

Can you copy files to the drive using the Finder? (Lots of files, preferably large files please!)

Ah I've misread what you said. Media Set type. I haven't realised you can get different types. Apologies, I'm off-site and unable to check at the moment but your input would help.

regards

Steven

I see we cross posted.  :)

OK, check when you are on site.  :)

I see we cross posted.  :)

OK, check when you are on site.  :)

Apologies, just back on site now. Media Set is set to Disk and the RDX location added to the members tab.

It backed up to a Disk first time and now it says Content Unrecognized. If you look at it in the Finder there is Retrospect data from that initial successful first time.

Got an external HP Storageworks RDX500 drive.

Wow; removable cartridge magnetic platter drives; I thought those had gone the way of the Dodo bird!

As I understand it you are to format the drives in disk utility to HFS+ format before using.

Not required, but locally attached hard drives are happiest on your Macintosh with that formatting.

Some of these errors are after a Retrospect erase.

Media Set is set to Disk

Retrospect doesn't do any erasing during a Backup to a Disk Media Set.

- What are the exact steps you take that result in the error?

- Oh, and you didn't reply to the critical question asked by Lennart above; can you read/write files to this device via Finder.app?

Wow; removable cartridge magnetic platter drives; I thought those had gone the way of the Dodo bird!

Not required, but locally attached hard drives are happiest on your Macintosh with that formatting.

Retrospect doesn't do any erasing during a Backup to a Disk Media Set.

- What are the exact steps you take that result in the error?

- Oh, and you didn't reply to the critical question asked by Lennart above; can you read/write files to this device via Finder.app?

read/write via finder works fine.

The drives come NTFS. They are then formatted to HFS. Retrospect shows the error and won't work with it. Checked the compatibility list again and it is definitely supported.

I asked:

"- What are the exact steps you take that result in the error?"

To which you replied:

"The drives come NTFS. They are then formatted to HFS. Retrospect shows the error and won't work with it. Checked the compatibility list again and it is definitely supported. "

I hope you can see this is not an answer to the question. How are they "then" formatted? What do you do that causes Retrospect to show the error?

If you are using Disk Media Sets there is no issue of "supported" devices; Disk Media Sets write data directly to local or network volumes.

Please respond with the detailed, specific steps you are taking.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Steven,

did you figure out any procedure or workaround for your RDX-issue? I've got problems with those RDX-drives, too. I think, trouble started after upgrading to Retrospect v8.2. In v8.0 RDX-drives were treated as "normal" HDDs, weren't they? Therefore, their cartridges couldn't got ejected within Retrospect Console.

In v8.2 RDX-drives were treated as "Removable Disks" (which can now be unloaded within Retrospect Console). When you erase a cartridge within Retrospect Console, Retrospect fills the cartridge up with files named "Retrospect Data", "Retrospect Data 1", ... or similar, each of them 2 GB in size. This procedure lasts a few hours, when Retrospect finishes this job, Retrospect Console shows the cartridge as an empty TAPE. May one use the cartridges as tape-based Media-Sets, then?

Otherwise, when you do the erasing job in "Finder", the cartridge is shown named "Unknown" with "Content unrecognized". Yes, you may use this for file-based Media-Sets, but the Media Sets don't get recycled -> New Media request. Also, when you change cartridges to prepare Retrospect for the next backup, the newly inserted cartridge is not accepted -> New Media request ... :-(

Any idea anybody?

Olaf

Edited by oelchen

Yes, I got this resolved via the Support team @ Roxio.

The solution involves stopping Retrospect seeing the drive in "Storage Devices". It then is visible in "Media Sets"

Use Disk Media Set and not a Removable Disk media set when creating backups and also edit the retro.ini file to change the Show Removables option to 0 as it is set to 1

The Retro.ini file should be edited with the Engine stopped and is located within Application Support/Retrospect and extracting the RetrospectEngine.bundle package.

Hope this helps

Steven