Retrospect Stuck In Localhost

I have been using Retrospect 6 for many years on my Mac ethernet network with no problems. I recently began having connection problems with my network backup drives, so I updated to Retrospect 8.2. I have been trying unsuccessfully to run this new version.

I cannot get Retrospect 8 to find my networked backup drives. The computer to be backup up and that has Retrospect 8.2 installed is a Mac Pro, OS X 10.6.7, 14 gb memory, 188 gb of free space on the system drive. I have a Drobo and an Infrant-250 connected on the local network. I have no difficulty connecting to either of these devices directly from the computer. I have the firewall turned off on the computer.

From Retrospect's dashboard, I can see the Mac Pro and the four installed hard drives. From the Sources or Storage Devices selections on the Sidebar I only see the local drives. If I use the Add button to connect to the networked drives for either Sources or Storage Devices, using Add Share... and entering the afp address and username and password, I get an immediate "No share at this address" above the Cancel and Add buttons. If I use the Test Address... option for the same network address I get an immediate "Can't find the requested responder (-530)" above the Cancel and Add buttons.

I searched your Knowledge Base for this error and can find nothing that even tangentially addresses my problem. In looking at the Preferences for Retrospect in the General tab, I see the computer with the proper Server name and a completely erroneous Server address of 127.0.0.1. There is nowhere for me to change this address. If I go to the Network tab, I see the computer and a listing for Default with the correct network address for this computer: 192.168..1.xxx. In both the Preferences window and in the Retrospect panel I can see both the computer that I am attempting to use with Retrospect and another computer on the network, however this other computer will not connect to Retrospect.

I have read through the Retrospect User's Guide.pdf, the Knowledge Base and done several searches through the forum. I have found nothing useful. Yes, I do know that 127.0.0.1 is the localHost address for the computer that I am using. What I don't understand is why Retrospect is locked to this address and why I am unable to change it.

Suggestions?

The computer to be backup up and that has Retrospect 8.2 installed is ...

In looking at the Preferences for Retrospect in the General tab, I see the computer with the proper Server name and a completely erroneous Server address of 127.0.0.1.

Retrospect 8 consists of two parts; the Engine daemon and the Console application.

If you run the Console on the same machine hosting the Engine, 127.0.0.1 would be a perfectly expected address to see. This is likely a red herring.

- Do you have working DNS on your network?

I recently began having connection problems with my network backup drives,...

Ok, so that sounds like an issue. Did you resolve it?

If I use the Add button to connect to the networked drives for either Sources or Storage Devices, using Add Share... and entering the afp address and username and password, I get an immediate "No share at this address" above the Cancel and Add buttons

That would be an expected error if you entered the address incorrectly. It might also be the error one would encounter if there were problems with the network backup drives.

- What format did you put in the Address field of the Add Source Directly drop-down sheet?

Retrospect 8 consists of two parts; the Engine daemon and the Console application.

If you run the Console on the same machine hosting the Engine, 127.0.0.1 would be a perfectly expected address to see. This is likely a red herring.

- Do you have working DNS on your network?

Yes, I do. The network operates correctly and has for more than ten years. There is nothing new on the network.

Ok, so that sounds like an issue. Did you resolve it?

The only way that I can resolve this issue is to restart the computer. My backups using Retrospect 6 will work for a few days and then one, apparently at random, will fail again.

That would be an expected error if you entered the address incorrectly. It might also be the error one would encounter if there were problems with the network backup drives.

- What format did you put in the Address field of the Add Source Directly drop-down sheet?

I did not enter the address incorrectly. Not even once in the more than 50 attempts over the last three months.

Once again, Retrospect is locked into 127.0.0.1 and my actual network is using 192.168.x.x addresses. There seems to be no way to get this new version of Retrospect to recognize and actually use the network that I have.

Thanks again for any light that you can shed on this.

You wrote:

> I recently began having connection problems with my network backup drives

- What, exactly, where these connection problems?

- What have you done to troubleshoot it?

- Do you feel Retrospect (6 or 8) is the _cause_ of these connection problems?

You wrote:

> I did not enter the address incorrectly

I did not claim you did. I simply pointed out that the error you are seeing is correct when the URL is incorrect, either in format or detail.

-What, exactly, is the format you used for the URL in the Address field of the Add Source Directly drop-down sheet?

You wrote:

> There seems to be no way to get this new version of Retrospect to recognize and actually use the network that I have

If you are using the Console application to communicate with the Engine daemon on the same machine, Retrospect is not doing any network communication.

- How, exactly, is the Retrospect software configured in your environment?

You wrote:

> I recently began having connection problems with my network backup drives

- What, exactly, where these connection problems?

- What have you done to troubleshoot it?

- Do you feel Retrospect (6 or 8) is the _cause_ of these connection problems?

As I explained, one random backup script would fail, telling me that the destination drive was offline. This is the same destination drive that 8 other backup scripts were using daily without error. If I go into Retro 6 and edit the destination drive, then that script will work again. In a day or so another random script would fail.

I have done nothing to troubleshoot this problem.

You wrote:

> I did not enter the address incorrectly

I did not claim you did. I simply pointed out that the error you are seeing is correct when the URL is incorrect, either in format or detail.

-What, exactly, is the format you used for the URL in the Address field of the Add Source Directly drop-down sheet?

The url that failed was afp://192.168.1.60.

You wrote:

> There seems to be no way to get this new version of Retrospect to recognize and actually use the network that I have

If you are using the Console application to communicate with the Engine daemon on the same machine, Retrospect is not doing any network communication.

- How, exactly, is the Retrospect software configured in your environment?

I have no idea how to even begin to answer this question. I purchased the software, downloaded it. Installed it. Followed the Retrospect User's Guide. Found myself in 127.0.0.1 hell.

Here's a screenshot of the joy that I have to work with:

The screenshot shows your Retrospect console (user interface) is not connected to a valid or working engine engine. If you go to System Preferences do you see the Retrospect engine? Is the Retrospect Engine running or does it appear stopped?

The addresses on the left sidebar represent the computer running the Retrospect engine. 127.0.0.1 represents the local computer when the engine isn't running. When the engine is installed and running you should see the local computer name.

If the engine is on a different computer from the console, then try adding the current IP address to the server list.

The url that failed was afp://192.168.1.60

Well, that would explain the error.

the URL you note is for a machine, not a share point.

Please see the example URL provided for item #3 on page 83 of the Retrospect User's Guide ("Adding a Server or NAS as a Source")

purchased the software, downloaded it. Installed it.

There is an installer for the Engine, and there is a Console application that can be drag copied. The implication here is both are on the same Macintosh (although you still haven't confirmed that as fact); as such 127.0.0.1 is perfectly fine; I see it when I launch the Console application on my Engine host machine, and I don't see it when I launch the Console application on another networked Mac.

It's not hell, and it's not related to your issue. Which is that you are entering the address incorrectly.