Can't Rebuild From 6.1 Backup Discs

Hi there

Can anyone help me here? I am running Retrospect 8.2.399 on a dual G5 1.8gHz Powermac on os X 10.5.8. I am trying to rebuild a large bunch of 6.1 backup sets to Retrospect 8 catalogs. The read me instructions state:-

"Before it’s possible to search or restore from a 6.x Backup Set using Retrospect 8, a Retrospect 8-style Catalog must first be created. To create a version 8 Catalog from the 6.x media, go to the Media Sets view in Retrospect 8, click on the Rebuild button in the toolbar, add the Backup Set members (like “1-Backup Set A” and “2-Backup Set A”) that contain the backup data, click Next, and then click Rebuild. You will need to tell Retrospect where to save the new Catalog. Retrospect will then scan over the backup media and generate a new Catalog. This will take some time. Once this process completes, you will be able to restore from that Backup Set."

The 6.1 backup sets are hard drives. So I add a disc media set. I am then prompted to add a member to this set. I then select the first member (1-Ray_Backup) and then Retrospect asks me "Select disc media set number" but this window is always blank and prevents me from going further.

How do I get this working?

Ray

Try to do the rebuild from "tape, removable or optical" when given the choice of media set type and not "disk"

Thanks for the response. I tried that and so I'm asked to select a device. The only device I can see available in that dialog box is the DVD drive of the host computer and not the mounted drives. How do I make retrospect see those drives?

Regards

Ray

Thanks for the response. I tried that and so I'm asked to select a device. The only device I can see available in that dialog box is the DVD drive of the host computer and not the mounted drives. How do I make retrospect see those drives?

Regards

Ray

Did you ever figure out a solution? This sounds kinda like what I'm seeing.

More specifically, here's exactly what I'm seeing:

• I poke the "Media Sets" icon on the left.
  • I poke the "Rebuild" icon at the top.
  • I choose "Tape, Removable, or Optical", then hit "Next".
  • Under "Select a device," it shows me the DVD drive, specifically "OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A"
  • I poke "Next".
  • It says "Select a folder for the new Catalog", and shows me my two drives.
  • No matter what folder I choose on the disk, it says, in red letters above the "Rebuld" button: "An error occurred."

For whatever it's worth, I get the same result with the first DVD of the media set in the DVD drive or with the DVD drive empty.

8-processor Mac Pro, 2.8GHz, 12GB RAM, running 10.6.7.

Any ideas?

As my sets are removable discs I don't even get the option to choose the disc. I can only see an icon for the DVD drive in my machine which of course has nothing in it.

It does not work as advertised. I want to migrate all my work to V8 catalogs so I can put V6 to bed!

Should I accept the fact that it does not work as advertised and simply run Retrospect 6 for restoring from those older backups?

Ray

Edited by Ray Beentjes

As my sets are removable discs I don't even get the option to choose the disc

What do you mean exactly? Your Retrospect 6.1 Removable Disk Backup Set was used to store data on what sort of hardware device? A fixed platter hard drive?

Retrospect "Classic" went through some growing pangs between 5.0.503 and 6.1. Originally a Removable Disk Backup Set would only work to Removable devices (hardware that presented itself to Mac OS as such; ie Syquest, Iomega Jazz, etc). But then it turned out that some disk formatting software (in those heady days when non-Apple formatting software actually existed) had set the bit of fixed platter hard drives to make them appear to the operating system as removable, leading Retrospect users on "Classic" Mac OS to have Removable Disk Backup Sets with fixed platter hard drives as members.

After that, Retrospect added a preference to "treat hard drives as removable," to sort of try and give Mac users the "Disk" sets that Windows users had been enjoying for a while (without the grooming, of course).

The preference from Retrospect 6.1 is obviously missing on Retrospect 8; that's likely why it doesn't work as you expect (and arguably as it should). The User's Guide has many references to "Removable Disks," but no mention of the legacy cross-over noted above. Oops.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using this software since I can remember.

I think the company was called Dantz...

This is exactly what I needed to be reminded of.

Retrospect added a preference to "treat hard drives as removable.

After reading this I went back to 8.2 and > Media Sets > Rebuild > Removable!

Rebuilding right now...

Thank you!!!