Recycling Backup on Tape automatic

Hi,

we are using Retrospect 6.5 MultiServer. The problem we are having is a complete stop of activity as soon as a backupset (transfer from disk to tape) has no more empty segments. Is it posible to set up a skript to automatically recycle a tape as soon as its full? Or do we need to upgrade to 7.0 to be able to recycle automatically?

Thx to anyone who can give me a hint.

Hi

With tape Retrospect can't automatically run a recycle once the set is full. (actually that's true for all backup sets...) Retrospect 7 is the same. Your only option is to schedule periodic recycle backups.

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate

ok, I see what you mean. We have another problem with our tape transfer. As soon as the tape is full everything stops. All backup sets seem to be blocked because one set ran out of space. What can we do to avoid this, other than using more tapes.

Why must we always restore the segments of a backup set after we did a manual recycle?

Thx for your help.

Pronto

Hi

Only the backup sets and devices used by the transfer operation will be locked.

Make sure to enable multiple execution units. You may also want to enable the media request timeout if you want the transfer to quit when a tape gets full.

Quote:

Why must we always restore the segments of a backup set after we did a manual recycle?

I don't know what you mean. Can you explain this please?

Thanks

Nate

Archived