"Scanning inventory"

Hi.

Running Windows 2000 Server with Retrospect 6.5.350 and Driver update 5.3.103. We have a Sony Autoloader: AIT-2 Autoloader Lib-D81.

After I opened the door, replaced a few tapes and closed the door, Retrospect is repeatedly "Scanning inventory". This means the autoloader runs up and down without ever loading a tape. After a few seconds of pause it's "Scanning inventory" again. If I during this pause tries to "Scan Media", this scan is immediately interrupted by a "Scanning inventory". The only way to stop this is quitting Retrospect, but even that doesn't work all the time.

What is wrong? I just want to "Scan media" (Or sometimes "Erase All").

Hello,

I would recommend that when changing tapes in and out of a tape library, that Retrospect is quit. Also, make sure that you have not left a tape in the drive as this can cause confusion especially if a new tape is placed in the slot that the tape currently in the drive originally came from. If the problem persists, contact technical support.

-jetdog9

Hi

This is weird...

Make sure to check your cables and termination. One thing you can try is clearing the loader table in Retrospect. To do this hold down the shift key and click eject all.

What is the firmware version of the loader and tape drive?

Thanks

Nate

Jetdog,

I'm afraid it didn't help to quit Retrospect while changing tapes. Thanks for trying.

natew,

Thanks for answering.

The SCSI cables and terminators are brand new. I did run the Sony Tape Utility and tried the "drive test" and "connection test". Both passed.

The firmware for the drive is 0204 (which is the latest). The driver is "Sony Library (1.08)".

The firmware for the loader was 0101. There was a 0103 on Sony's site that I downloaded and installed, but it did not help. The driver is "Sony AIT-2DC (1.42)".

When I try to select "Scan Media", "Unload all/Eject magazine" or anything else from the loader context menu, the command might start but is immediately interrupted by "Scanning inventory".

If I not only "Stop Proactive Backup", but also "Disable Proactive Backup", I get a chance to "Scan media". When that is finished I can enable and start Proactive backup again. So it looks somewhat that proactive backup can't scan media by itself for some reason.

It should be noted that the "Scanning inventory" problem also appears in the time slots available for changing tapes (when proactive backup is not running).

Any other suggestions?

Hi

pardon a simple question but is the loader and tape drive disabled in device manager? They should be.

I've been working with a customer who was seeing all kinds of wierdness with the same drive. We changed the Tape drive to ID 1 and the library to ID 3. That seemed to clear things up.

Are you using barcodes? If not try disabling barcode support on the library.

Thanks

Nate

Hi.

When I looked in the Device Manager for the umptenth time, I noticed "Medium Changers" for the first time. There was an "Unknown medium changer device" that wasn't disabled. However, the SCSI address (0:0) wasn't the Sony loader's address (2:0).

Under the "Tape Drives" was the "Sony AIT 50GB SCSI drive", disabled as it has always been.

OK, The drive was already ID 1, but the loader was ID 0. Changed the loader to 3 and restarted both the loader and the PC. Now in Retrospect, the loader was ID 2:3.

In Device Manager, the unknown device was now ID 0:3. So it had to be the Sony loader anyway, so I disabled it. I'm sorry I didn't notice the "Medium Changers" before in Device Manager.

No, we are not using barcodes.

I did not see any "Scanning Inventory" after the above changes, so hopefully it's solved. THANKS!!!!

• 8 months later...

Archived