Maximum Backup Threads

dlloyd

I am running Retrospect versions 6.5 through 7 of Multi-Server, on Dell NAS 725N boxes with 2-4GB of RAM depending on the backup server. I have yet been able to run 8 simultaneous backup threads and was wondering if others have had regular success with this?

Hi.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

The basics of threads are as follows:

One backup set per thread.

In case of tape/cd/DVD backups, max one thread per hardware device.

Max number of threads limited by amount of RAM in server.

(I have no idea if 8 is the absolute maximum or not.)

Hope this helps

Lennart

My definition of threads is the individual Retrospect activities (backups, restores), which can take place simultaneously. According to Retrospect’s documentation 8 simultaneous activities of these types can take place. So, in theory I should be able to backup 8 separate desktops at the same time to 1 Retrospect server. The success is contingent on having enough RAM (2GB should allow for 8 threads) and have the correct media and mechanism to write with, in my case a hard disk. Given this configuration I have only been able to perform 5 simultaneous backups before the Retrospect server chokes.

Possibly someone from Dantz can comment on my original question and follow-up information. In general the question is, what would be a recommended hardware/software configuration in order to perform 8 simultaneous backups to a single Windows based Retrospect Backup server setup to perform backups to disk?

Hi.

I like that info, too.

In the mean time, please explain what you are trying to do. What are you backing up? Where are you storing it? How are the disks connected? How many hard drive interfaces do you have and how many drives are connected to each?

(I would never access more than 2 discs on the same interface at the same time with such a heavy load as Retrospect. And each disk accessed by one single thread only.)

Regards

Lennart

Archived