Upgraded DVD Drive - now old backups are unrecognized :(

I made backups with a custom configured Sony DVD burner, then upgraded my DVD burner to a new Sony model, and again did a custom configuration for Retrospect to see it.

The problem is that all my old backups are now 'unrecognized'.

Apart from using the old drive, is there any way to make the new model read the old discs ?

If I don't do the custom config - retrospect is unable to use my new drive (sony 16x)

Hi

This is one of the pitfalls of the auto-configuration wizard. Chances are your first drive supported packet writing with Retrospect but the second does not. As a result the second drive is using Track At Once and can't read the old discs.

Thanks

nate

• 8 months later...

Quote:

This is one of the pitfalls of the auto-configuration wizard. Chances are your first drive supported packet writing with Retrospect but the second does not. As a result the second drive is using Track At Once and can't read the old discs.

Apologies for upping this thread, but I am in a similar situation. My problem however is that due to a short circuit all my IDE devices were smoked. Now I want to do a full restore but my new NEC ND-3570 doesn't recognize the backup disks which were made with a NEC ND-3520A. This is with Retrospect 6.5 still.

Q: Would I have more luck with an upgraded version of Retrospect ?

Q: What exactly can be different between drives ? It must be more than just the difference between packet write vs TAO. I am pretty sure that both NECs support packet write...

Tnx.

Archived