Scheduled backups not running on schedule?

Hello,

I'm running Retrospect Backup version 6.0.204 on a new dual-core G5 with OS 10.4.3 (we've been running Retrospect for years in our studio though, we just recently upgraded to this machine). Since upgrading to the new machine none of our scheduled backups are running when they're scheduled to run. Retrospect is scheduled to run a backup script every night at 11pm, but they no longer run at that time (and the machine is on all night long, confirmed). But, when I manually launch Retrospect when I come in in the morning the backup script that was supposed to run the night before at 11pm begins to run.

So, for some reason, it's not auto-running at the scheduled time and instead only runs when I manually launch the program.

Has anyone else had this problem and know of a fix?

Thanks for your help!

Kristin.

Hi Nate,

Do you know for sure this will solve the problem? I've heard there are a lot of problems with the 6.1 release and right now we can't afford to not have the backup system working (ie. can't afford the time for it to go down with an upgrade and troubleshoot it back to working again vs. manually running backups scripts every morning).

If my issue is a known issue and this is a known fix, I'll take the risk, but I don't want to just assume the upgrade with "fix" my problem (again, because I've heard there have been quite a few problems with the 6.1 release).

Thanks,

Kristin.

Quote:

Hi

Update to Retrospect 6.1.126!!

Thanks

Nate

hi kristin,

there are some real problems with 6.0.204 on Tiger. you should at least be on 6.0.212, but like nate, i would recommend 6.1.126.

i have not seen major problems with 6.1.126, except for a client issue that has been fixed. if you think there are problems with 6.1.126 and your specific setup, could you list the areas of concern?

well, here are some issues i've read about 6.1 and tiger...

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20051007075649761

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20051010075615333

Should I be concerned about these issues?

I'm all for updating the app, but right now it's extremely busy in our studio and I can't afford the time to get it back up and running if it goes down with the upgrade.

Thanks,

Kristin.

Quote:

hi kristin,

there are some real problems with 6.0.204 on Tiger. you should at least be on 6.0.212, but like nate, i would recommend 6.1.126.

i have not seen major problems with 6.1.126, except for a client issue that has been fixed. if you think there are problems with 6.1.126 and your specific setup, could you list the areas of concern?

hi kristin,

yes, that issue was discussed to death here:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Retro6&Number=57239&page=6&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

the original poster said that an upgrade to 10.4.3 fixed the problem (he was also the original poster on macfixit), which seems to indicate this was an operating system problem. it seems the issue may not be fixed for some users though, but there are not enough clues to be able to reproduce the problem. it seems not to be widespread. of course, you should probably not use M$ word and other user apps on your server, but that's an entirely different issue. i have not see this issue with server apps.

please note that 6.0.204 is NOT compatible with Tiger. you will need to use 6.0.212 at least.

Ok, I think it's obvious I need to make the upgrade. Since I've just been given the task of maintaining Retrospect, I'm new to all this so please go easy on me if this is a dumb question—if I upgrade Retrospect to 6.1, do I need to upgrade all the clients as well?

Thanks,

Kristin.

Quote:

hi kristin,

yes, that issue was discussed to death here:

the original poster said that an upgrade to 10.4.3 fixed the problem (he was also the original poster on macfixit), which seems to indicate this was an operating system problem. it seems the issue may not be fixed for some users though, but there are not enough clues to be able to reproduce the problem. it seems not to be widespread. of course, you should probably not use M$ word and other user apps on your server, but that's an entirely different issue. i have not see this issue with server apps.

please note that 6.0.204 is NOT compatible with Tiger. you will need to use 6.0.212 at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure: have Dual G5 2GHz, 5GB RAM. Had Retrospect 6.0 and pre-Tiger the weekly EasyScript executed automatically and correctly to an external FW800 LaCie 500GB drive (permanently connected).

Post TIger, it stopped executing automatically, as inferred that it would on the Dantz site, due to revised Tiger permissions. So, updated to 6.1.126 and installed latest driver 6.1.2.102. I have device access version 1.0.107.

However, automatic execution does not work. If i launch Retrospect, it then 'spots' that an execution is missedm and executes the script correctly. I have tried deleting the script and recreating it, but this makes no difference.

Not sure i can add any more? Let me know though...!

Thanks

First, with Retrospect not running, confirm that "retrorun" is alive and well. You can use the Actvity Monitor program to check.

Assuming the retrorun is alive but your scheduled scripts do not run, delete the file:

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/retrorunfile

Then launch Retrospect, then quit it again.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Looks like this might have fixed it. I did as you suggest, modified my schedule to run a few mins later (else i'd be waiting until next weekend), and it started to execute without the R app running.

Have gone back to the intended schedule and hopefully will run as required.

Fingers crossed, and thanks for your help.

R

Archived