Can't select files, error -2303 (Selector condition file system not available)

Hi,

have recently upgraded to V7 & decided to schedule a complete backup of my C drive - previously I have been selecting specific volumes. If I run the scheduled backup of drive C, I get this error:

"Can't select files, error -2303 (Selector condition file system not available)"

but if I do the same as an immediate backup it is fine. I looked on the Knowledgebase & it referred to errors when upgrading & importing previous selectors but this was newly setup in V7.

What am I doing wrong? I am just running on one PC. It is attached to a network but I'm not backing up over a network. My other previous backups which were upgraded still work fine.

Hi Nate,

I think I may have solved this now.

Fyi Yes I did upgrade from v6.5. The original script that I created selected All files Except Cache Files. When I did an immediate backup I see that it selected 'All Files'. Last night I amended the script to select 'All Files' & ran the script immediately & it seems to have worked. So I'm hoping it will run OK at the scheduled time tonight.

What is the difference between All Files & All Files Except Cache Files? Why should that option fail?

Hi

All files gets everything on the system, minus a couple of system files that Retrospect takes care of behind the scenes.

All files except cache files is the same but it excludes temp and cache files. Chances are very good that you won't need those files after a restore.

Thanks

nate

You mentioned that you upgraded Retrospect. Retrospect 7.0 will look for older configuration files and automatically import them including the All Files Except Cache Files selector. This will result in the -2303 error if you choose to use this selector (and some of the other selectors). If you decide to go back to All Files Except Cache Files, this article should resolve the error:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=8026&p=2

I am aware of this issue. However I created a brand new script in v7. It was not a conversion of a previous script.

So basically if I create a new script in v7 it works with Select All Files but not Select All Files except Cache files. That sounds like a bug to me.

Hi

A new script will not resolve the issue.

When you upgrade from a previous version of Retrospect to a new one your old selectors are automatically imported. The problem occurs when the older version of the All files except cache files selector is referenced in Retrospect 7.

Thanks

nate

Archived