I have for the past two weeks been getting an inordinate number of error 206 messages and have been unable to complete a back-up. I have confidence that my drive (QPS external firewire) is fine, I have confidence that the media (Sony CD-R) is fine, both have worked very well with Retrospect in the past. I tried recording full (660mb) CD's with Disc-burner, Toast, and iTunes with no problem. Yet Retrospect has gone wacky.

I am using Retrospect vers. 5.0.205, OS X 10.1.4, this is a sample copy of the log:

- 5/12/2002 10:04:45 AM: Copying OS X HD…

Trouble writing: “15-G4 Set A” (3830990848), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Additional error information for device "Plextor CD-RW" [0:1],

Sense >

(PLEXTOR |CD-R PX-W8432T|1.07)

Trouble writing: “16-G4 Set A” (3810439168), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Sense >

Trouble writing: “16-G4 Set A” (3829646848), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Sense >

5/12/2002 10:34:03 AM: Execution stopped by operator.

Remaining: 3947 files, 1.3 GB

Completed: 5706 files, 313.4 MB

Performance: 12.8 MB/minute

Duration: 00:29:18 (00:04:57 idle/loading/preparing)

In reply to:

I have confidence that my drive (QPS external firewire) is fine, I have confidence that the media (Sony CD-R) is fine, both have worked very well with Retrospect in the past. I tried recording full (660mb) CD's with Disc-burner, Toast, and iTunes with no problem. Yet Retrospect has gone wacky

While I have no idea why Retrospect works with some drives but not with others, I do know that DiskBurner, Toast and iTunes don't use Packet Writing, which is (I believe) what allows Retrospect to write session after session to the same disk without overhead loss.

Also, QPS has shipped a variaty of FireWire drives; you should include the specific model/firmware/driver information as displayed in Retrospect's Configure->Devices->Device Status window.

Dave

I thought I had included it... oops. Here is the report issued by Retrospect:

Trouble writing: “16-G4 Set A” (3829646848), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.). Additional error information for device "Plextor CD-RW" [0:1], Sense >

As an additional note, Retrospect Desktop worked fine on the same computer with the same QPS firewire drive under version 4.3 and OS 9.2. Likewise Retrospect 5 worked until recently under OS X 10.1. I have looked around the forum and have seen numerous messages that decribe similar problems to mine, many seem to start with a complete system freeze (and this is OS X) and then the error 206 messages on subsequent back-ups.

I am currently running:

Mac OS X 10.1.4 (5Q125) Retrospect vers. 5.0.205

Power Mac G4

Processor info: Dual 450 MHz PowerPC G4 (2.9)

Boot ROM version: 4.28f1

You're not alone.

I've just installed Retrospect Desktop on my iMac Graphite 600/256, and I'm getting the exact same symptoms.

I've got 10.1.4 with no other 3rd party programs on it. The only configuration I've changed is Apaches!

I consistently get 206 errors when trying to backup the local files - I haven't even had enough success to back up my network clients yet. I get to about 450-500mb worth of data on the first CD in the set and then have Retrospect give the 206 error and have a nasty hang - I need to physically turn the iMac off to restart.

I've had Retrospect now for 2 days and I'm seriously unimpressed. The beta had no troubles performing the exact same tasks (and I'd be happy enough to downgrade just to get some form of network backup up again).

I'm also seeing error 206. This is on a dual-USB iBook (500 MHz) with Toshiba RD-2002 combo drive. Using the preview release of Retrospect I was able to back up, albeit with frequent 206 errors (one CD in 3).

Now, with the 5.0 released versions I cannot successfully back up at all to this device. I tried three times, and each time it failed with 206 in almost exactly the same place in the backup. When I had failures with the preview they were in random places. Also, this is the same drive with the same firmware that I used successfully with the preview release.

I hardly ever experience write failures on this drive when burning CDs using other applications (DiskCopy, etc.)

Note that the errors occurred in almost exactly the same place on each attempt. This doesn't look like a failure generated due to the media.

Here is the log:

- 5/13/2002 11:03:30 AM: Copying Tabibito…

Trouble writing: “1-iBook CD complete” (415760384), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Additional error information for device "Toshiba DVD-ROM/CD-RW" [0:1],

Sense >

(TOSHIBA |DVD-ROM SD-R2002|1B32)

Trouble writing: “1-iBook CD complete” (415236096), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Sense >

Trouble writing: “1-iBook CD complete” (414973952), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Sense >

• 2 weeks later...

It has been several weeks since the "error 206" problem started occuring. Today out of frustration I threw out all Retrospect files from my system, reinstalled from the original CD, updated to 5.0.205, recreated my back-up scripts and tried again.... no luck.

Some things I find confusing are that Retrospect seemed to work fine from the Beta through the initial release. I was able to back-up with no problems. Then...

I bought Norton SystemWorks and installed it, shortly after that I began to experience a variety of strange behaviors, mouse freezes, unix code appearing on the screen, etc. to the point that at start-up it no longer recognized my system. I decided "OK I've had enough". I erased my hard drive. Reinstalled all of my software from original CD's, ran all the updates so that everything was current (OS and apps). I then restored all of my documents from my previous back-up. Everything was great, it all went remarkably well, none of the little glitches that always seem to come up. So my sytem was back, my documents were back, Techtool pro said everything was fine, Drive 10 said everything was fine, I felt good. So I started to back-up my completely clean system and EVERYTHING freezes. I had to restart using the reset button on my G4 and since then Retrospect has been unable to write a CD without reporting an "error 206". All other applications are running smoothly as you would expect from a clean system EXCEPT Retrospect. Dantz does not respond and many LONGTIME users are left to fend for themselves.

In reply to:

All other applications are running smoothly as you would expect from a clean system EXCEPT Retrospect

Is it that Retrospect doesn't run smoothly, or is it that your Plextor drive (earlier I'd suggested that you report the relevant information from Retrospect's Configure->Devices->Device Status window, but you instead included only the "sense" code from the log. I don't know if that includes the same information or not...) is not being well supported by 5.0 under OS X?

I have no idea what it takes for Dantz to support all the devices that they do. But it's obvious that all devices are not the same. They add support for drives with updates, so there must be code involved to make all this work. There are many, many different backup devices out there. Perhaps some just refuse to work well under OSX? Perhaps yours is doomed to never work (again, what's the specific version of Plextor mech that you have?).

If Retrospect won't work with your QPS Firewire CDRW drive under OSX, it may just be a hardware issue can't just be fixed by simple tricks. I know that the backups that I make with Retrospect (CDR from Quicksilver 733 and File to internal slave IDE drive) run smoothly every time.

The rumor mill is hot with the prospect of a device update from Dantz. My best wishes go out to you that your drive is slated for some relief.

Dave

In reply to:

Is it that Retrospect doesn't run smoothly, or is it that your Plextor drive (earlier I'd suggested that you report the relevant information from Retrospect's Configure->Devices->Device Status window, but you instead included only the "sense" code from the log. I don't know if that includes the same information or not...) is not being well supported by 5.0 under OS X?

Perhaps some just refuse to work well under OSX? Perhaps yours is doomed to never work (again, what's the specific version of Plextor mech that you have?).

The information reported from Configure->Devices->Devices Status is contained within the log report.

Firewire-A PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T 1.07

I would have to believe that their is a problem with how "well supported" the drive is.

• 1 month later...

More data/info on the error 206 issue.

On a Power Mac G3 733mHz with internal LITE-ON LTR-12102C CD-RW drive (approved by Dantz for CD-R media only, not for CD-RW) running Restrospect Backup 5.0.205.

I am using CD-R media only. Although I have several brands of media, for the session described below, I was using "Kodak CD-R Ultima 80 / 700 MB".

I frequently switch between OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.1.5.

I have been pretty successful using Retrospect in OS 9 (after resolving a few extension conflicts). I have not yet encountered an error 206 while working within OS 9. I tried my first backup in OS X and got several error 206's. From what I can tell, all of them occurred when comparing, not when writing. I have included an excerpt from the log below.

I have not tried to restore off these disks. Given the errors I encountered, I question whether I have a reliable backup.

+ Normal backup using Backup System X Stuff at 7/9/2002 5:13 PM

To backup set System X Backup Set A…

- 7/9/2002 5:13:34 PM: Copying Applications on Tasha V…

7/9/2002 5:38:14 PM: Comparing Applications on Tasha V…

Trouble reading: “1-System X Backup Set A” (104595456), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

File “Clip 01” appears incomplete, path: “Applications/iMovie for Mac OS X/iMovie Tutorial/Media/Clip 01”.

Additional error information for device "Lite-On CD-RW" [0:1],

Sense >

(LITE-ON |LTR-12102C |RAVD)

7/9/2002 5:54:33 PM: 2 execution errors.

Remaining: 1 files, 27.0 MB

Completed: 8281 files, 374.2 MB, with 6% compression

Performance: 19.5 MB/minute (17.1 copy, 22.9 compare)

Duration: 00:40:59 (00:01:15 idle/loading/preparing)

[ reports about volumes that completed successfully have been deleted for brevity ]

- 7/9/2002 6:35:45 PM: Copying System on Tasha V…

7/9/2002 7:06:03 PM: Comparing System on Tasha V…

Trouble reading: “2-System X Backup Set A” (193986560), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

File “AppleGothic.dfont” appears incomplete, path: “System/Library/Fonts/AppleGothic.dfont”.

Trouble reading: “2-System X Backup Set A” (297795584), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

File “AppKit.pdf” appears incomplete, path: “System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/Reference/Java/AppKit.pdf”.

Trouble reading: “2-System X Backup Set A” (597950464), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

File “Cosmos05.jpg” appears incomplete, path: “System/Library/Screen Savers/Cosmos.slideSaver/Contents/Resources/Cosmos05.jpg”.

Additional error information for device "Lite-On CD-RW" [0:1],

Sense >

(LITE-ON |LTR-12102C |RAVD)

7/9/2002 7:34:45 PM: 6 execution errors.

Remaining: 3 files, 25.8 MB

Completed: 19583 files, 762.4 MB, with 40% compression

Performance: 26.7 MB/minute (26.9 copy, 26.5 compare)

Duration: 00:59:00 (00:01:04 idle/loading/preparing)

These log excerpts suggest that the drive is having trouble reading the data that it's written to the CDs. The fact that it doesn't happen in OS 9 probably speaks to the fact that OS X works differently with devices and is likely to be more finicky than OS 9.

What other media brands have you tried?

Have you tried a new backup set?

Have you tried using other programs under OS X that can write in packet-mode?

In response to IrenaS's questions:

> What other media brands have you tried?

> Have you tried a new backup set?

> Have you tried using other programs under OS X that can write in packet-mode?

This is the only OS X backup I have tried. I haven't tried a different backup set. And I don't know what other OS X programs write in packet-mode.

I am using Retrospect to backup my own personal machine, and OS X isn't the operating system that I use the most. All my other backups are performed in OS 9 (with various media and problem free).

Sorry, I don't really have the time, energy, or media to waste trying various configuration to debug/gather further information on this problem. (Unless Dantz wants to pay me a consulting fee :-)

Archived