openfile backup problem (-1017 error)

Hi all

OK, I'm posting here, because I don't seem to be lots of people in the french topics.

My problem concerns Openfile Backup

I have lots of problems with this option, with often -1017 or -1020 errors, whereas the volume is NTFS, and the user in Retrospect is Domain Admin. (multiservers). OS are Windows XP (SP1 or 2), and sometimes, NT4.

Server is 7.0.265 and clients are 7.0.107

One other problem, seem to be unknown by the tech support, is, on several 2000k (pro, and server), the fact of activing this option will reboot the computer. (and if I turn it off, there is no problem, no reboot, and...no opened file saved :'( )

And the last problem (and the most important for me) is the use with Biometric solution Xelios.

We are using, for laptops, biometric solution which create a virtual volume stored in an encrypted file, useful against laptop losts.

The last version of the software/hardware allow the user and the system to see this virtual volume as a classic Hard Drive, that can be shared,...

But, if I can access them with no problem without the openfile actived, I have, on all disks, files, and folders, a -1017 or -1020 error with the openfile actived. (virtual disk is an NTFS)

I am embarrased to have had this option bought, for nothing.

So if some got a solution,... thanks

Clement, french student

A part of the problem have been identified : for the reboot with openfile backup, it seems that an compatibility problem exists with AntiVirus Kaspersky.

But for the -1017 and -1020 error, I still have no idea.

Yes, I have sometimes 1017 and 1020 errors, while the openfile backup runs successfully. But, also, in two computers, I have a 1017 and 1020 error, and, there, openfile backup fail, whereas volume is NTFS, and user is an domain admin.

So there are maybee two problems in one?

Hi

Lets talk about these one at a time:

Issue #1) Errors even when open file is working

This really isn't possible. If open file starts on a volume Retrospect will have full access to all files. Permissions errors and file in use errors will not occur. That is of course unless the shadow copy service fails partway through.

What is the OS and disk format of the machines where this happens? Are there any errors about VSS in the Windows operations logs?

Issue #2) Errors when open file fails.

This is normal. You should expect errors to occur when open file cannot run properly. Until you can resolve the open file problem these errors will occur.

Thanks

Nate

Hi

Quote:

Hi

Lets talk about these one at a time:

Issue #1) Errors even when open file is working

This really isn't possible. If open file starts on a volume Retrospect will have full access to all files. Permissions errors and file in use errors will not occur. That is of course unless the shadow copy service fails partway through.

What is the OS and disk format of the machines where this happens? Are there any errors about VSS in the Windows operations logs?

Well, I maybe said something wrong : In fact, when I got these errors, backup continue, so I guess the backup is done without openfile. (-1020 error)

But I should not have these errors.

I mean : on a NTFS volume, I try to backup an opened outlook .pst, being domain admin. But, I still got -1017 errors.

VSS? (maybe another name in french?)

Quote:

Issue #2) Errors when open file fails.

This is normal. You should expect errors to occur when open file cannot run properly. Until you can resolve the open file problem these errors will occur.

Thanks

Nate

Have someone successed to use openfile backup on a virtual volume (We use Xelios PC suite 5.1 for that)? It is supposed to create disk that looks real. I formated it in NTFS.

The normal backup is ok, but not openfile.

Hi,

Could this post be the solution for you?

I've got it figured out!!

I had to look in the Windows Event Viewer, and I could see errors like:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070422 from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

I then opened up the Services console, and I had to manually start the COM+ Event System, and the COM+ System Application.

I was able to do a backup without getting the dreaded 1017 error!!

Thanks.

Archived