Micsrosoft SQL Server 2000 and multiple instance backup

I have Retrospect SBS installed on the same computer with MS SQL Server 2000 which is installed as part of MS SBS 2003. I have multiple SQL instances on the server (the default one, SHAREPOINT, and SBSMONITORING). When I look in Retrospect it only shows the default instance. How do I backup the SHAREPOINT and SBSMONITORING instances?

Thanks,

Mark Miller

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

That page I pointed out is saying that Retrospect does not back up share point as a database. As a result the Retrospect SQL agent does not see Sharepoint as a database. (It isn't very clear in the article but that is the bottom line at least)

You need to run the command line tool from Microsoft to export a copy of the database to a standard file and then back up that file with a regular Retrospect backup.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Nate,

Well that helps a little but I'm not sure it gets at what I'm seeing. What that is talking about is a restore issue and how to get around it with the MS tool. Now that I know this I will probably use this technique for Sharepoint.

But what about my other instance of SQL that's not showing up in Retrospect.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Small Business Server 2003(SP1) Standard Edition

Still questions remain:

1) What about SBSMONITORING and WSUS? Still can't select one of them.

In Small Business Server 2003(SP1) Standard Edition, SQL 2000 isn't installed. Only MSDE. So selecting the default SQL Server is completely useless. And for a complete backup these are necessary.

2) What about SHAREPOINT (http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=1132&p=2)? Not an elegant solution. How fits this with the Server Recovery?

May come to the following conclusion?

For SBS 2003 SP1 SE, the SQL 2000 Agent is useless?

Only the Open File Agent is a solution for this problem?

There isn't a solution in Retrospect to backup the Sharepoint server?

Fulco

Hi

The Retrospect SQL agent does not back up sharepoint and the SBSMonitoring databases. It will however back up any other standard database instances.

Here is my understanding of the situation:

Sharepoint and SBSmonitoring use the SQL server to run however they are not standard databases. As a result they cannot be backed up the standard way with the Retrospect SQL agent.

Open file backup can back up these databases. Or you can schedule an export of the databases to a flat file and then back up the flat file using a regular Retrospect backup.

Thanks

Nate

Archived