Error 43 Can't proceed...

This is what I see:

? Retrospect version 5.0.238

launched at 5/26/2003 11:49 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.5.104

Error: Scanning incomplete, error -43 (file/folder not found).

This is for a windows 2000 server share on my desktop. I have been working on this for several hours and do not have any ideas left. I cannot run a backup until this is resolved.

I think this is unrelated, but I can only get this far into it if the share is not currently on my desktop. I assume this has something to do with the fact that I am logging into the 2000 server using a name that is different than my machine log-in. Once retrospect starts it logs into the share and looks for files and then generates this error.

I am running OS 10.2.6

Would a windows solution have this same problem?

Thanks,

Ken

Actually it probably will. Retrospect for Windows does not have the unicode limits that Retrospect for Macintosh currently fights with.

We want to fix the problem on the Macintosh, but it is a major engineering project that is going to take some time to complete.

• 2 months later...

Sometime between the last backup (March 2003) and yesterday, something must have created files with Unicode characters in them. Unfortunately for me with tens of thousands of files in my HD I don't know how to look for them.

This software is useless to me if I can't back up a volume and I can't figure out a workaround. How critically important is it to your software team to maintain backwards compatibility over present functionality? I sympathize that Unicode characters have problems being converted to C character types but it doesn't seem to be hamstringing so many Apple developers as to be an across the board issue.

Can we get a clearer idea of exactly *what* the team is looking into to fix this and a timetable?

It's not a Macintosh OS thing. There's been limited Unicode support as far back as MacOS 8.6. Now with OS X, unicode is built into the OS. Stating that:

Quote:

...Retrospect for Windows does not have the unicode limits that Retrospect for Macintosh currently fights with. We want to fix the problem on the Macintosh, but it is a major engineering project that is going to take some time to complete.

Merely shows that someone wasn't on the ball by anticipating this starting several years ago and they most definitely didn't consider this under the last "major engineering project" of "bringing" Retrospect to OS X. I'm sure that there's all manner of reasons why things don't work. Unfortunately for those paying customers who don't really care why only that it doesn't. It's a current situation that many are forced deal with today.

It would be nice if the roadmap was laid out so that fiscally responsible IT planners could determine the route that best serves their interests. Whether that includes Dantz, is up to Dantz. Speak to your users. Not a cooky cutter reply or some marketing flak... but honest, informed discussion of how long it's going to take engineering to complete the tasks to bring Retrospect up to snuff.

appl.gif

• 1 month later...

For the record, I was able last night to sniff out the offending files using the technique Dantz recommends. It's not as daunting as they make it sound (by comparing it to sieveing
for bad extensions in OS 9):

1. Create a test backup set, and subdivide the volume you intend to check by folder. I'd start with Applications (OS 9), since OS X doesn't do housework on things installed to
    it in OS 9/Classic, and it may not be the largest top-level folder in your OS X volume (i.e. quick gremlin search).
  2. Tell Retrospect to back up this folder. If it passes with flying colors (i.e., gets to the 'checking privileges' stage), stop the backup, pick another folder at the same level
    in the volume hierarchy and repeat this step until you get an error -43.
  3. When you hit error -43, subdivide the offending folder and pick the first subfolder you find as your next test case. Go to step 2 until you hit error -43 and recurse until
    you find the booger.

In my case, it was Broderbund's Kid Pix, which somehow created nonexistent folders with extra spaces in their names that could not be individually deleted (I had to trash the entire Kid Pix folder). As soon as the Trash was empty, the entire backup set (OS X volume) was kosher. Your mileage may vary, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have been having this problem (-43) but strangely only recently. For us it appears to be a recurring corruption. We have gone several months on OSX without a hitch but in the last weeks this has been a recurring problem (three times so far). We have fixed the problem (on 2 occasions) by running alsoft's disk warrior on the source drive.

Archived