Backups hanging on "Preparing to Execute"

For the past week I've been struggling to get Retrospect to backup correctly. I have one Small Business server that runs retrospect backing up itself and four WinXP workstation on the LAN. 2 of the XP systems are on a normal backup script running every night. The other 2 are are on proactive backups. All backup to one of 2 USB hard disks (Backup A and B). The drives are rotated every 2 weeks. The scripts (Server and 2 Workstations) run twice/day once to backup A and once to B, if A is not connected, it times-out and then the B script runs, or vice versa. Last week when I switched Backup A back in, none of my backups would complete. I rebuilt the catalog for backup A, verified the media, deleted and recreated the Retrospect configuration, but things still hang on the Preparing to Execute step. The only way to get Retrospect to do anything is to End its process with the Task Manager.

Please help, this similar problem has been happening every 5-6 months since I installed Retrospect and began using it. Usually, rebuilding the catalog works, although it takes about 12 hours. Nothing seems to work this time.

Chad

I looked through the logs more closely and found errors for BU B related to grooming. Even though B was not connected it was still trying to groom it and possibly hanging the system. Since BU B is offsite right now, I removed it from the list of backup sets by forgetting it. I then started the proactive backups which completed and then ran the server script which also completed. So, it looks like a grooming error on and un related backup set was hanging the application.

Is there a better way to setup rotating USB backup sets so this doesn't happen?

Chad

The email alert I get from the server says:

From Retrospect: Script "Server" failed during automatic execution, error -3405 (unknown). Please launch Retrospect and check the log for details.

In th log that number appears under an exchange mailbox that was supposedly deleted some time ago. The text also says scanning error. I don't know why it it's trying to backup a mailbox that was removed.

Chad

That isn't the error code you wrote earlier. If you wrote the correct number then, I could have told you immediately.

Version 7.0.x of Retrospect doesn't automatically update it's own list of mailboxes. You have to do that manually (Under "Volumes")

I think 7.5 or later does this automatically.