Recycle Back up doesn't make full back up

Hello, I'm testing the new retrospect 10 to see if I want to buy it, but I can't get it to do what I want.

I have made two scripts, 1 for the weekly recycle back up and 1 for the daily normal back up.

I want to make a recycle back up but one of the most important folders will not back up. Retrospect keeps telling no files need to back up.

To me that feels strange because it should back up all files once I choose recycle?

Can somebody please help me :)

Thnx

Have you checked the rules to see that you aren't somehow excluding the folder? Is it possible that the folder and files in it are some place else? RS only needs to backup identical files once, although it keeps track of where the duplicates are. After you backup, try a restore and see if they show up as possibilities to restore.

Delete your ISA-Catalog files on client side,

(Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetroISAScans/xxx.dat and xxx.inf)

Recycle your set again,

and you will get a full backup.

Got the same problem here with a bunch of clients. Some work and some not.

But did´nt know why...

If that's needed, it sounds like a bug in Recycle when ISA is enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made two scripts, 1 for the weekly recycle back up and 1 for the daily normal back up.

I want to make a recycle back up but one of the most important folders will not back up. Retrospect keeps telling no files need to back up.

To me that feels strange because it should back up all files once I choose recycle?

Yes, recycle and then running back up will back up all the selected files again to the recycled media set. If that's not what you observed, it may be due to Retrospect's file deduplication feature: If /folderA/file1 matches /folderB/file1 in terms of having same properties (name, size, dates, etc.), Retrospect only backs up one of them per media set, while noting it exists in both folders to enable the correct restore behavior. This is based on media set, not script and not backup source. If scriptA backs up folderA to Media Set X and later scriptB backs up folderB also to Media Set X, the activity log for scriptB may show "No files need to be copied" because scriptA ran first and already backed up /folderA/filer1 which matches /folderB/file1.

Another possible factor is the Rule selected for your script exclude all files in the folder you are concerned about.

Thank you all for the responses. I'm not working with clients, only a server and some shares true the network. I now have installed the update of retrospect 10 and removed every old script and made a new (same) script. My problem was at the point that I started a recycle back up. Am I wrong or is it true that retrospect doesn't have to look what files all ready are in the back up when I start a recycle back up. I always thought that a recycle back up means throw away the old back up and make a nice new back up of all the files. I hope it's now working, it feels a bit scary that I'm not sure anymore about if retrospect is making a good back up. It used to be very reliable but now I have big doubts. And I can't allow any doubts with the back up, it's to important.

is it true that retrospect doesn't have to look what files all ready are in the back up when I start a recycle back up. I always thought that a recycle back up means throw away the old back up and make a nice new back up of all the files.

Mostly yes. A scenario that can happen due to Retrospect's deduplication is:

1. Recycle, so next backup will be a full backup

2. Back up /folder1 (as one Source/Favorite) and then /folder2 (as a separate Source/Favorite) in one single run of a script.

2.1 When backing up /folder1, the freshly recycled catalog is empty and so there is no matching/deduplication. Files under /folder1 selected by the script's rule will be backed up.

2.2. When backing up /folder2 which is a separate source/favorite, the catalog now has info about files backed up from /folder1 at step 2.1. Files under /folder2 that match what have already been backed by at step 2.1 won't be backed up again, just noted by Retrospect that they exist in /folder2 to enable restore if needed.

not sure anymore about if retrospect is making a good back up

After a backup, if you see "No files need to be copied" for a particular source, you can test restore of 1 file from that source to a different location to reconfirm the backup is good.