Exchange SRS storage not being backed up...

we have Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 std.

Retrospect (7.0.326) is running on windows 2003 std too.

I have tried backup to HD, tape, etc. and with scripted and proactive.

I have also tried releasing the license from the exchnag box, re-starting the backup server and then re-licensing the exchange server, but when ever a backup of the SRS storage occurs it fails. The mailboxes and databases are backed up successfully though.

Anyone know why I'm getting:

T-9: MapError: unknown Windows error -1,003

Trouble reading files, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error)

There is nothing in the event log etc. either

Quote:

T-9: MapError: unknown Windows error -1,003

Trouble reading files, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error)

There is nothing in the event log etc. either

Hi,

So there is no record of a Windows error occuring on either machine in the Windows event viewer? I would try running Exchange utility to see if there are issues with the storage groups.

Do you have Retrospect configured to run as an RBU? For reference:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9480&p=2

yeah, it's running with the rbu in that configuration.

It bothers me slightly that if there is a problem with Retrospect running the first recommendations you get in the website are to check if Exchange is broken. I have done everything to find out if there is something wrong with Exchange but it appears to be running smoothly without error.

However, Retrospect on the otherhand frequently crashes and if I try to run it remotely from my own computer it will hang every time, without fail.

This would appear to be a problem with the buggy 7.0 Retrospect version. This is probably why another version (7.5) came out so quickly after 7.0 was released.

I'm sorry to be so negative about this product, but it never seems to work efficiently and I have problems sleeping at night knowing that our restores will have to come from failed backups. Then the only help you can get through the forums is people saying that it's probably an error with some other application and not Retrospect.

Quote:

This would appear to be a problem with the buggy 7.0 Retrospect version. This is probably why another version (7.5) came out so quickly after 7.0 was released.

I believe it was about a year between versions. I am not sure what you consider "quick".

Have you confirmed the RBU settings as suggested in the prior post?

Is this a local backup or a backup via the client?

as for the 'quick' thing...

It just seemed like they came out with the latest version quite quickly after this one. And yes, one year to me for a version change does seem quick. I'm not trying to offend anyone at Retrospect, but I haven't had problems like this with other backup software.

Retrospect will cost you less up front, but then you have to pay them for support and things like this. It just seems that people are getting the same errors over and over again when I look through the forum and it also seems like it should have been something handled before the release date by the Retrospect QA.

Sorry, that's just the way it seems

Quote:

It bothers me slightly that if there is a problem with Retrospect running the first recommendations you get in the website are to check if Exchange is broken.

I understand how frustrating it can be to have a problem that can't easily be pinned down, and I agree that pointing fingers randomly is not a productive approach to finding a solution.

I asked if you would double check Exchange because you stated that the listed errors only occured when attempting to back up Exchange, and the errors from your operations log clearly indicate there is an "unknown Windows error."

Have you attempted to verify the storage group?

AmyJ - Our environment is Exchange 2003/Windows 2003 domain

the problems have been everywhere now. I did a complete reinstall of Retrospect and it hasn't helped really.

Now I will get the following:

-Retrospect hangs if you try to have a scripted backup run at any time

-If you try to use Retrospect in a remote session it will also hang the program

-If there is a computer that someone has removed from the domain without doing an official 'disjoin' and it is still in a backup somewhere as a client, it will stop the backup and refuse to continue until Retrospect is shut down totally and the client is deleted. When shutting down Retrospect in this scenario it can only be done through the processes tab because the exit function won't work

At the moment I can only run the proactive backup because all the scripted ones hang the whole program, but even the Proactive backup has problems like the last one that I mentioned so this is consuming 80% of my workday trying to figure out how I can get Retrospect to run without having to check it all the time.

I appreciate the quick responses though.

Hi wlandymore-

If you no longer have Exchange 5.5 you should uninstall SRS. Its _only_ purpose is to connect Exchange 2000/2003 with Active Directory to legacy Exchange 5.5 systems. Problems can be seen when SRS is enabled and there is no active connection to an Exchange 5.5 installation.

See the following article on how to remove SRS: Remove SRS

Quote:

-If there is a computer that someone has removed from the domain without doing an official 'disjoin' ....

I'm interested in testing this if you can provide some steps on how to 'disjoin' without following the proper proceedures. While Retrospect should not get funky with the client I want to stress that when system changes are made incorrectly it can impact and corrupt the client in unforeseeable ways. If the client is left in an unstable state due to these changes the server may get not be able to get past it.

You mentioned you reinstalled Retrospect. Did you replace the config files? Try moving the 2 config75 files from: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect

to a new location. Launch Retrospect, enter your license code and setup a few test scripts.

Amy

I'll try removing the SRS, but Retrospect will rarely run now. I had just the proactive backup going and now I'm getting 'serious' errors according to Retrospect.

It said that it placed the data in assert_log.utx but if I look for this file it doesn't exsist. I also sent it to Retrospect as it suggested.

In the past I have done the 'move the config files' and I get the same results....i.e- Retrospect will not run at all.

The unofficial disjoin is just if someone formats a computer without going through the disjoin procedure. Then you're left with a computer in the 'computers' OU that doesn't actually exsist anymore and Retrospect still has it on it's list.

I've also done better than to just remove the config files from Retrospect because I reinstalled the OS and Retrospect together and then I started getting the hangs when scripts were running and the major errors that would shut down everything.

I'm afraid that this is something that will require more than just swapping out config files.

well that's the thing...there is no progress. I only have proactive backup running without the possibility of scripted backup or tapes.

After reformatting the whole computer and starting over with everything there is still nothing working properly on that server accept for the proactive one.

Now I'm getting Event ID: 1 - Retrospect

Trouble reading files, error -1102 (drive missing/unavailable)

and before that I would get Event ID: 1 - Retrospect

Trouble reading files, error -1104 (device not ready)

I don't really want to go out and spend the 10,000 dollars for new backup software but it doesn't seem like I have a whole lot of options. Retrospect appears to be unusable and I haven't seen anything on the forums that has helped me to get it working correctly.

I'm stumped.

Quote:

It's just the problem of scripts not running at all. It's only the proactive backup that's working.

This thread started out as an Exchange SRS issue, and seems to have evolved into a handful of other issues (some of which are resolved) so it's important to continue to clarify exactly where you are with this and what the current problem is.

Can you be more clear on what's not working now? All I have is that it "hangs" when scripts are running.

What is different between the proactive scripts which work and the regular scripts which don't? The sources? The backup set types? The media?

Where is it hanging?

Any error messages?

Does it only fail with certain types of backup sets - tape vs disk for example.

For now, let's leave out variables such as sources who disjoined the domain improperly and remote access. The simpler the setup the easier to isolate the problem. If you set up a brand new script to new media and execute a backup does it complete?

Also, please provide information about the types of backup devices you are using along with make/model information.

Archived