mailbox backups take FOREVER

wlazara

doing a normal full backup of my exchange server works fine.

however mailbox-level backups take FOREVER. it seems that certain mailboxes can take over an hour each! something seems to be getting hung up. any ideas?

this is retro 6.5 on win2003sp1/exch2003sp2

thanks,

Wes

Hi Nate,

thanks for checking in =) the performance issue occurs only with mailbox backups. when i run a normal exchange backup it runs fine. the mailbox backup runs slow regardles of whether it is a normal or recycle backup.

the backup server is an IBM xseries 226 with a p4 3ghz and 2 gigs of ram, and an SATA raid5 array running on an adaptec SATA hardware raid controller with 64 megs of cache. retrospect is using about 350 megs of memory and little to no cpu usage during most of the backup. I do notice that rtvscan.exe has 20-30% cpu usage during much of the backup. could this affect things? odd that it wouldn't slow down the normal exchange backups, or my file server backups though... only the mailbox backups is ridiculously slow. and it's not even that the actual mailbox backups are slow - it's more that certain mailboxes hang up the server forever, and others go very quickly...

thanks Nate,

Wes

Its also slow when backing up First Storage Group.

Server: 7.5.251

CPU load mostly below 20%, some spikes goto 33%

memory available 600Mb of 1024Mb.

Client:

win2003, exchange 2003, both fully patched

CPU load 2%

network load 1%

memory available 317Mb of 2048

Please give me some respons...

• 4 months later...

brick levels will Always take a long time...think of it as backing up into pst. - item by item. :-|

Nature of the beast.

However, I had a simmilar issue and as it turns out it was a matter of user account used to backup mailboxes. It misteriosly worked for about 2 months (misconfigured) and then it degraded in speed and finally errored out totally.

1. Confirm/configure that correct user is used

see thread #72699

2.Reinstall the client and then re-license the exchange ( I saw no diff. performance between clients 7.0 and 7.5 but I stuck with 'the latest & greatest')

All the best!

Archived