Broken DAT tape/ re-cataloging

One of my 4mm DAT tapes broke! First time in 9 years. I'm in the process of re-cataloging and it won't get past the splice. We used a tape slicing machine and it moves freely. Is there any way to "dump" the whole tape to another drive, then re-catalog? Or is there an option I'm missing to fix this? I'm on Version 4.3. MAC OS 9.2.2 ans a scsi DAT drive (UW).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Larry

How about if I cut the section of tape out that I have already recovered from, then move the splice up to the beginning/ leader portion of the tape? I can't believe that there is no way to retrieve data off this tape. It's on there and still in a Retrospect format, just part of the tape is "missing". Is there no way to just downlaod or export what data is on the tape to another drive?

Thanks,

Larry

I recall that in the distant past, we have recovered tapes that had been damaged by a bad drive. Even though the "directory" on the tape was messed up, we were able to "copy" the entire contents of the tape to a hard drive (with no regard for it's catalog), the re-archive it onto a new tape, re-building the catalog as well. Is this a function that no longer exsists in Retrospect? I just called a previous employee and she recalls the same thing. Is there an earlier version that we could use to accomplish this? (tech support gang?)

Just trying to figure it all out. Thanks to all for your input....

Archived