Retrospect Hangs on Network

fmarshall

I am running Retrospect on Win NT with a SCSI VXA-1 Ecrix/Exabyte tape drive.

It appears to work in backing up the local machine.

When backing up another machine that's shared on the LAN (no backup client software involved), the backup process just stops making progress after 400MB or so and Stopping the backup causes the Restrospect program to hang with the Stop button grayed out.

The target machine being backed up is running WinXP and file sharing in both directions seems to work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Try backing up the client to a file backup set stored on the local computer to rule out the possibility of device problems. If this still fails, look at the conenction with that client. Try some network troubleshooting (a crossover cable, different cables, etc.).

If the file backup set works, this points to a device problem. It may be having trouble with the slower speed of data transfer from the client.

You haven't provided details on your configuration, so it's difficult to offer specific advice. Please post details if you are unable to pinpoint the problem. For example, what version of Retrospect? How is the device connected to the computer? What kind of computer?

I would really prefer to not make an extra copy of the directories on the backup host machine. That would be an extra and, presumably unnecessary, step.

I'm not sure what other information you need. Here is an exhaustive list:

The two computers are connected via 100 mbps Ethernet LAN, Linksys 100 mbps router / switch with no other traffic on the LAN. The LAN is working fine.

The backup system is an ECRIX VXA-1 SCSI tape drive hosted on a Windows NT 4/6.0A machine which is a dual processor 200MHz Pentium P5A.

The system being backed up is a Windows XP Home system, AMD 1.4GHz processor.

The version of Retrospect is: 5.11

The backup setup works fine. The backup starts fine. The backup hangs after around 400MB have been backed up. See my first message for more details of the failure.

Thanks,

Fred

I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer. Please try a backup to a file backup set stored on the local drive. This will be done as a test to determine where the problem is, and is not meant as a permanent solution.

You may also want to try downloading a trial version of 5.6, our latest version, as this includes support for XP.

Irena,

I thought you were quite clear - so thanks!

I can backup just fine from the local machine. So that question has long been resolved.

I'll take a look at 5.6. However, I'm a bit reluctant to spend more money as this arrangement is pretty new as it is.

Is there no other advice regarding getting hangs after 400 MB backup has happened?

Thanks,

Fred

Archived