Backing up one drive only

I have one drive with 4 partitions: BootOS and main software (C:); Data (D:); Secondary software (E:); Norton Ghost partition copies (F:). Each partition is 3 gigs, Fat32; my Dat drive is 2 gigs. OS is XP Pro.

I set up a Disaster Recovery where I selected only C: for backup in Backup Set A. This worked ok, backing up approx. 1.2 gigs excluding cache files. It did not backup or snapshot any drive except C:, according to the log. The reason I did this was I want to have a single tape disaster recovery to get up and running. My other drives are backed up separately.

The problem is when my Retrospect script runs. It updates C: (say 15-20 MB) but then wants to backup all the other drives. This would defeat my original selection of C: only.

I have tried to figure this out from the manual. I was unsuccessful. (As you probably know, reading that sucker is a daunting task.) Is there a simple way to do what I want?

What I ultimately want is a disaster recovery for just C: to fit on one tape that is only scheduled for update every couple of weeks and two backup sets for D: that update daily and I swap weekly. I'm not asking for someone to design scripts for me to do that. I'm willing to work it out myself. But I can't even get started because I can't figure out how to get the C: only backup to work.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

The answer from a Dantz tech is that when I created the Disaster backup, I selected My Computer as the source and then selected C: only for my files. This was fine for the very first backup. However, the corresponding EasyScript saw that My Computer was the Source. In doing incremental backups, it looked to the whole of My Computer.

What I should have done, although this is not clear at all from the manual, was initially to select C: as the Source. This should carry through to the backup script. However, I think you have to double check this. I tried creating a different backup set for my data drive - D:. I used D: as the source and the first backup went as expected. But when I created a script for it, the Source had reverted to C:. I changed it to D:. And, just for good measure though it shouldn't be necessary, I also Excluded disks C:, E:, F:, and G:.

I think it's working.

• 1 month later...

It sounds as if you want to edit your script to only include your C drive. You can do this by going to Automate/Script and clicking on your script and click Edit. There you can go to your sources and remove all sources except your C drive.

Archived