Cybernetics CY-TL8-2015 Tape Library

OK, After a few more hours trying to get Retro 5 Server, updated with 205 to work, I noticed the following after scouring the website.

I have a Cybernetics CY-TL8-2015 Tape Library that works flawless with Retrospect 4.3. I see that you support this: http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=154

But I located this now from the backup compatibility list for RetroSpect5: Cybernetics CY-TL series SCSI Tape Library Qualified Unqualified. But it does have this listed there too:  If you are using Retrospect 5.0 on the Macintosh, this drive will require the Workgroup Edition or greater.

Since I have RetroSpect Server this should work right?

I am running a G4 400Mhz with 384 MB memory. OS X version 10.1.4 and an Adaptec 39160 SCSI card with the 1.1 drivers from Adaptec. (I changed the card after the Adaptec card I had became unsupported. (And of course RetroSpect 5 Server updated to the 205 updater.)

My symptoms are simple. The machine can see the clients, and scans them, but when it goes to write to the tape, it freezes almost immediately, requiring me to force quit RetroSpect and shutdown the machine, so I can power cycle the tape library. Otherwise it is locked up and can't be accessed.

I have also tried running RetroSpect 5 Server in OS 9 and no go either. Obviously I need to backup OS X and OS X Server machines, or I would stay with version 4.3.

I am open to ANY suggestions, and am willing to provide more data/information if you need it!

And to ease everyones thoughts....

I have removed the 1.1 version of the adaptec driver (Adaptec39160.kext) and then reinstalled the version 1.0.2 from Adaptec. Then replaced the Adaptec39160.kext file with the one from my OS X 10.1.3 CD which goes to version 1.0.0. Restarted the system.

Nothing new. Retrospect still locks after it reads the client and startes to write the first file to tape. In this case it happens to be Acrobat Reader 5 and it has 7K and locked immediately....

Any further ideas? I am going to try installing the 1.0.2 again and just letting 1.0.2 stay there.

I used the procedure from Dantz below to change the SCSI drivers:

Further testing has shown that the updated Adaptec drivers (v1.1) for the 39160 card cause problems with Retrospect backups. We recommend that you revert to older drivers.

To complete these steps, you must be logged into the Finder as root or use a third party utility that allows you to see, access and delete files owned by the system. Those familiar with the Terminal can su to root and accomplish these steps in the Terminal.

1. Remove version 1.2 by deleting the "Adaptec39160.kext" file from /System/Library/Extensions. Then run the version 1.0.2 installer from the Adaptec web site. It can be found at:

39160&prodkey=APD-39160>http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?cat=%2fProduct%2fAPD-39160&prodkey=APD-39160

2. Replace "/System/Library/Extensions/Adaptec39160.kext" with the one on the Mac OS X install CD. It is located in the same path on the CD. To navigate to this path, you must close the auto open CD window and reopen the CD to get to the root level.

Thanks, and I hope that this is helpful.

This drive is supported by Retrospect 5.0 under OS X.

Have you gone through any other SCSI troubleshooting? Have you tried Retrospect 5.0 under OS 9?

What is the pin configuration of the device and the card that you're connecting?

Please also provide (or confirm) the following:

Retrospect Version and build

Computer Model and speed

OS X version and build

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window)

Device firmware (in the version column of the Device Status window)

Device interface

Media brand and size

Other Devices

If an external device, please provide:

Adapter Card

Adapter Card firmware

Adapter Card driver for OS X

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Hi Irena,

Thanks for the quick response...Here is the info you requested:

>>Have you gone through any other SCSI troubleshooting? Have you tried Retrospect 5.0 under OS 9?

I have a 2940UW that I use for RetroSpect 4.3 and it works fine. (Stopped using it for OS X when you stopped support for it and bought the 39160) And Retrospect 5 didn't work there either in OS 9.

>>What is the pin configuration of the device and the card that you're connecting?

I have tried both the A and B channels.

The Library has the following SCSI ID's set:

Drive1: 1

Drive2: F (NO drive 2)

Library: 2

Config: 0

Retrospect Version and Build: 5.0.205

Computer Model and Speed: Apple G4, 400Mhz

OS X Version and Build: 10.1.4 SQ125

Device interface: SCSI 2, VHDCI 68 LVD to HD68

Media brand and size: Sony AIT2 SDX2-50c

Other Devices: None

If an external device, please provide:

Adapter Card: 39160

Adapter Card firmware: Just purchased, so should be the newest. ROM# 1.0.2, REV 1

Adapter Card driver for OS X: I have tried Adaptec's version 1.0.2, and 1.1

I just boxed my the unit up 20 minutes before your post, to be sent back to Cybernetics, to have the latest firmware loaded on the tape drive and Library. So I can't check from retrospect, but here is what is installed. They tell me the latest would be 01BC for the Sony Drive and 1016 for the Library. If you know of a "correct" combination of firmware to use, please let me know and I will make sure they load it.

I have these versions installed:

SDX 500c AIT drive: 010B

Tape Library: 1008

I can get the info below when the unit comes back, just to be sure it doesn't report anything different than I already know.

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window)

Device firmware (in the version column of the Device Status window)

Thanks!!!

Rick

OK....Got the Library back...and all seems well...the firmware for the tape is 01bB and the library itself is 1016.

Tried the Adaptec card, and nothing....Tried a new cable (As I ordered another when I bought a Atto ExpressPCI UL3S card just in case.) Bam! Started working with the Adaptec 1.1 driver, but then, on comparing, I get a kernel panic everytime.

So I place the Atto UL3S in and EVERYTHING works fine!

But the new problem is the same as others. My 9.0.4 ASIP 6.3 machines are locking up after they get a volume with sharing backed up...I will either post a new post or add to others with details there...

So...NEVER trust a new scsi cable no matter what!

Archived