TDK Drive

If I read the website correctly, TDK 321040X is not supported by Express backup. Although the device turns up in the environment when I go to configure>devices, when I attempt a backup, the message comes up "Sorry, no disc storage devices found." So, it sees it but can't find it when its time to run the backup. Have I got this right, and if so, will it be supported soon?

That is correct.

This drive is not supported with Retrospect at this time. ALthough you may still see it under the Enviroment tab.

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. For a list of the drives that are currently compatible with Retrospect software, please check our device compatibility guide at:

www.dantz.com/hardware

• 1 month later...

Any timeframe yet for when Express will support TDK 321040x in a Windows environment? I bought the backup software on a strong recommendation but didn't realize that I was suppose to see if it supported my reader. I won't install a new hard drive until I can take a backup of my current hard drive. If there isn't any scheduled date for Retrospect to handle my TDK model then I'm forced to look at the other backup software that doesn't have as good a reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

Add my name also to the list of TDK users waiting, (patiently or otherwise), for the ability to use express for windows. My unit is the 241040B, a unit that's been out for better than 7 months. How long does it take to build in support for what is supposed to be a top selling drive?

Thanks!

This drive is in testing, still. Although we are trying hard to qualify it, please understand that not all drives will be qualified, and of those that are, some take a while. Yes it's frustrating. That's why we recommend that you check the compatibility list before making a purchase that may not immediately, or possibly ever, suit your backup needs.

If we encouter a problem in the testing process that requires us to rewrite a driver, that can increase the time it takes for a device to be supported.

If we run into a problem and we need to work with the vendor of the drive to help them implement standard packet-writing commands better and/or to write and release drivers, that can increase the time it takes for a device to be supported.

If a company switches out the mechanism of a drive or changes the specs without telling us, it needs to be requalified from scratch, which means one incarnation of a drive may be supported well before others.

That being said, many TDK drives are based on a Sanyo mechanism. Retrospect is not currently compatible with Sanyo CD-RW mechanisms. We are working with Sanyo to resolve the problems, but there is no timeframe for a solution.

I think Dantz needs to stop telling us why things don't work (Sanyo) and get them to work. It would appear that would be in everyone's best interest. Other CD-R software vendors appear to overcome these problems. If the Dantz software is designed in such a way that it doesn't work with these drives, then I think they have some issues to resolve.

Archived