Smart Drive

Last spring, Apple, as a promotion to get us to buy PowerBook G4s before they lowered the price and increased performance, gave away CDRW drives called Smart Disks (TEAC W28E Firewire mechanism). They're small, require no power brick, and work great with Toast or burning from the Finder. Unfortunately, they are unsupported by Retrospect which thinks the drive is read-only. Since you said you supported all Apple-supplied drives I assumed you included these. I was wrong. Here's the question. Can I create a 600M partition on my hard disk, back-up to that, copy it to a CD using Toast, erase the partition, and repeat the process until the backup is complete?

This drive is still in testing. I'm afraid that your workaround is going to be tricky, unless you keep all your backup sets under 600 MB. File backup sets can't span files, so you have to be sure that you use subvolumes or selectors so that each file backup sets stays smaller. You also can't do incremental backups to that set once you burn it to the CD.

In short, it is possible, but it isn't easy!

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

• 4 weeks later...

Irena --

Any hope on the horizon for SmartDisk and SmartDrive device compatibility? I'd be happy to be a beta tester. I'm pretty much dead in the water until I can use my SmartDisk firewire CDR.

Thanks for any update you can provide on the testing/approval process.

Archived