Network Preference Setting

Charles218

In order to connect to a client, I have to make sure that "Ethernet" is listed first in the "Network Port Configuration" setting in the "Network Pane" of "System Preferences". If instead, "Modem" is listed first I can not login to the client. But when it is arranged this way, I can't get email nor connect to the internet. But as soon as I put the "Modem" back to the top position, both email and internet are fine. Is there a way to fix this? Mac OS 10.3.5, Retrospect 5.0.?.

• 2 weeks later...

Nate,

This sounds like the same problem I'm having with the wireless connection to a broadband modem. Is it just possible that maintaining the Retrospect client connection via ethernet and internet via modem simultaneously will only work in Jaguar?

We had is working when all computers were on Jaguar. And if Charles is on Panther, as we are now, and it doesn't work for him or us, well... it just seems kinda suspicious. Like Panther is the key somehow.

just a thought...

Julia

Charles,

Not knowing whether your modem is dial-up or broadband, whether you are Mac or Windows, this may or may not help you but here's the info anyway:

Our setup is using airport connected to a broadband modem so designers have access to the internet and email. But the designer workstations are connected via ethernet for backups. Computers are Macs running Panther on client machines and Jaguar on the backup machine. We finally did get our combined setup to work and I'll list the steps here for what we did in the event that it may help you in some way. Good luck!

-----steps to backup via ethernet while maintaining internet connection via airport to modem----

here's what we did:

1. create a duplicate of the basic network location settings that had airport first on the list and ethernet second.

2. name the dulicate location, 'backup config' and reorder the settings so ethernet is first and airport second

3. in Retrospect on the backup machine, 'forgot' his previous client connection and re-establish by typing in his ethernet ip address. restart retrospect.

4. run a backup. ran at a beautiful speed.

5. then switch back to the 'internet config' so that the designer can access his email and the internet.

6. then the designer promptly forgot to switch his network location before he left on Friday BUT Retrospect used his ethernet anyway!! And the ethernet was second on the list.

Yay!!

Archived