Retrospect Pro 6.0 and Maxtor One-Touch

fcatalano

I'm currently using Retrospect Professional for Windows 6.0.206 (and have been for some time) to back up to my CD-RW drive, and have just purchased a Maxtor OneTouch for backups. Though I haven't opened the Maxtor box yet, I see it comes with Retrospect Express for Windows.

Will the OneTouch work properly with Retrospect Pro 6.0.206? And will I need to do anything differently in installing the Maxtor drivers and software in order to keep my existing Retrospect 6.0 installation?

If it won't work with Retrospect Pro 6.0, what steps should I take to avoid conflicts between the bundled Retrospect Express and my current Retrospect Pro? Uninstall the Pro? Install them side-by-side?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Frank Catalano

Hi

The one touch drive includes Retrospect Express 6.0. You don't want to install that as it will be a downgrade to what you already have. I would do this:

Install only the Maxtor one touch program from the Maxtor CD - Don't do the "complete" install because that will install Retrospect again.

To use the One touch button with Retrospect Professional you will need to set it up like this:

-Create a script

-Open the "run" menu in Retrospect, select the script and create a "run document"

-Open the maxtor one button program, click on the one touch button tab and browse to the run document you created.

This way your script will run every time you push the button.

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

Very helpful (and remarkably prompt!). Thank you. I'll do what you suggest to keep my existing Retrospect Pro 6.0 installation and use only the Maxtor One Touch software and drivers from the Maxtor CD.

Then I'll have fun installing the client license on my wife's machine and trying to back her up across the Wi-Fi network to the Maxtor as well (without One-Touch functionality, of course), depending upon how adventuresome I feel and whether I think it'll work.

Frank

Archived