Client initiated restores and backups possible????

chilidip

I'm currently using a trial version of Windows 6.5 and looking to find out if I've missed a feature or advice on client restores and backups.

In short, I want clients of Retrospect to be able to schedule their own restores and backup sets. More important is the restore aspect. Is there an interface available for this service? Maybe through a thrid party?

This seems like a common feature in other backup software I use (Veritas Netbackup) but I can't find it in Retrospect.

Thanks...Randy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am evaluating Retrospect Professional 6.5 using Windows XP SP2 clients and server, and have the same need for client restores -- e.g. when users accidentally delete a file, they must be able to restore it themselves.

When will Retrospect have a client restore capability?

David

Hi

It sounds easy and the engineering probably wouldn't be too hard. I can see it being really tough to manage though...

With client initiated restores permissions and file access comes into play so you would have to divide the backup data based on a per client basis. All the users on the client machines would also need access to the backup media needed for restore...yikes.

At this point your best bet would be to install Retrospect professional on each machine and have each computer back up seperately. Thay way each client machine will have access to its own data without the ability to read other people's data or overwrite thier drives.

Thanks

Nate

Archived