How to get client on new machine identified as old client?

Vladimir

I'm replacing one workstation with another (running XP Pro SP1 with Retrospect 6.5.x client). I've named the new workstation with the same name as the old one. I've given it the same network identity. I've given it the same IP address and workgroup name. I've installed the Retrospect client on it.

But the Retrospect server, which has a script to back up certain directories on the original machine, thinks (correctly) that this new machine isn't the same as the one it has replaced. It sees the client and gives it the same client name as the original client. So my list of clients includes the old machine's client and the new machine's client--the same name twice.

I had no trouble restoring the needed directories from my latest backup to the new workstation and renaming them to the original directory names. But the scripts running are still looking for the "retired" old machine and its directories to back up. I can change the scripts and back up from scratch to new media--but I'd rather just continue on making incremental backups of these particular directories to the same backup sets that we've been using with no script changes. A full backup takes a very long time (hundred of GBs to back up over a network) and would require wiping out the prior backups because of storage limitations.

So my question is--how can I tell Retrospect to just consider the new machine to be the same machine as the old machine and carry on its usual tasks? The directories to be backed up have the same path and contents as the last backup done Friday night. I'm hoping to get this project done before business starts up again on Monday morning. Help!

Thanks.

Valdimir

• 3 weeks later...

Archived