6.0 Crash to Desktop Enumerating Devices

Is there a way to tell 6.0 to skip certain drive IDs?

I remember running into this waaaay back when the first time I installed Retrospect 6.0. I subsequently purchased a new machine and it's been up and running for nearly a year now, but I haven't been backing up. So I dusted off my Retrospect 6.0, installed it and the latest drivers I could download, and now I'm trying to use it.

When enumerating drives Retrospect 6.0 crashes to the desktop. The last drive I could see in the list was CD 1 (I think).

I really only want to backup to an external USB drive. Is there a way to tell 6.0 to skip certain drive IDs? The steps for troubleshooting drive issues seem rather complex since I don't want to use the CD drive anyway.

I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP1, 2GB ram, I have both Pioneer and Samsung CD-R/DVD drives (one of them is also DVD+/-R but I'm writing this from work so I don't remember which at the moment).

Thanks in advance for any help.

dj

Additional info:

CD-ROM 0 is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D firmware version 1.07, version ex: 03

CD-ROM 1 is a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B firmware version T807, version ex: EXT

The last message I see when configuring devices is: Checking Device ID: CD 1

Even more info:

I've tried disabling the cd rom drives, as well as the USB-multi-format memory card reader...still no luck. The only difference is that the enumeration goes to Device 15 before exiting to desktop.

Hi

Unplug any memory card readers before running the device scan. That includes any card readers that may be built into USB printers and such. Then hold down the shift and space key and open configure->devices->environment. That will bypass the device scan and let you select IDs to disable.

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

That got me closer, kinda...now I get a blue screen in my raid driver (iastor.sys), which is for the built-in motherboard's raid controller (Intel 82801ER SATA). I had to open up the box to unhook my memory card reader. I also removed all other USB devices except for the external hard drive.

In the environment tab, the only ID that has vendor, etc. information next to it is ID 0, which is the Raid volume. Vendor: Intel, Product: Raid 0 Volume ... Version 0.1.

The Product info trails off with some garbage characters, and the version is odd as well. The driver, under volume properties under computer management, is Microsoft, 7/1/2001, v5.1.2535.0, MS Windows XP Publisher.

I then installed the latest Intel Application Accelerator, RAID Edition...and things seem to be working now. No idea why, but I won't complain. FWIW, the device info still shows up weird.

Thanks for the help.

Just read your bio...would you tell me...is "unfiltered" cloudy sake considered the better or worse quality? I love the cloudy stuff, but I'm probably unrefined that way smile.gif

Archived