Compression - by Retrospect itself or by Win2k Pro?

Jon_Udde

I use Maxtor external hard drive (250 GB NTFS formatted) as my primary backup system. There are several folders in Maxtor. I have made duplicates of my hard drives there and I also backup regularly the most important files by progressive backup. The later option give me a possibility to compress the data by Retrospect itself. Other possibility is to let Win2k Pro compress the backup folder. The later one gives a possibility to compress also hard drive duplicates.

Which is the better way to compress backups - Win2k Pro's folder compression or Retrospects own compression? Which is faster over a very slow USB 1.1 connection - or without compression at all?

I have also had a few freezin problems with the updated Retrospect 6.5350 version. Before I used older 5.6 version, which didn't freeze my system a single time. Any suggestion what to do with the problem?

I use F-secure virus protection. I suppose it makes the backups much slower when on. Is is possible to prevent virus protection automatically when backing starts?

I have to used sometimes Maxtor by USB 1.1 and it is very, very slow...

Hi

What do you mean by "freezing problems"? Can you give some more details please?

I would use compression in Retrospect, its easy and equally fast as the Windows compression.

A USB2 card will make your backups and disk access a lot faster. They aren't very expensive - you might want to look into it.

Thanks

Nate

Archived