Error -212 when attempting to repair catalog

Gandalf465

My unattended script which I have been running for years now started failing a few nights ago notifying me in the logs that my "Catalog is out of sync with Backup Set "mybackupset" and that I should use Tools>Repair Catalog>Update Existing Catalog.

I have had to perform such procedures before in my 6 years with the Retrospect products and it is usually a very simple process however when attempting to run the update I receive the following error.

Device trouble: "152-BU", error -212 (media erased)

Any help or advice is much appreciated. I need to backup my files servers! Thanks.

Hi

First the basics:

-Make sure the windows driver for the backup device is disabled in the Windows device manager.

-Run a cleaning tape.

-Run a test backup with another blank tape.

It is possible you have a bad tape, dirty heads or that the heads have gone out of allignment. There are other possiblities too but these are the most likely.

Thanks

Nate

Nate, Thanks for the responses.

I had run a cleaning and on your recommendation successfully ran a test backup to a blank tape. Calling support confirmed that the tape had been damaged. I reported the tape missing under the Backup Set properties and began backing up to a new blank member.

It appears that the -212 error in our case denoted a damaged media.

Archived