Backup Destination

ls04

I'm just new to Retrospect (coming from Backup MyPC) and have set up some scripts to handle our daily backups. In creating these scripts it asks for the Destination, which in our case is to a tape drive, and specifically it wants the name of the tape. This wasn't a problem but when looking ahead I was thinking I would have to change my scripts each week when I change out the media - or do they mean for you to list all your available media ahead of time and it just chooses according to what's in the tape drive? Backup MyPC jobs weren't media specific so I'm not sure if I'm understanding this right?

Hi

In Retrospect your destination will be a backup set, not the tape device itself. If you used easy script you will see that you already have a number of backup sets created.

Retrospect is really picky about which tape you put in on which day. Its a bit of a pain but you will be _very_ glad you did it if you ever need to run a restore. Trust me on this one.

How many tapes are you using and how often are you changing them?

Thanks

Nate

Okay.....now I'm really confused..... This is what I'm trying to do - maybe you could point me in the right direction.

I have two client machines that are backed up. One machine has one entire drive backed up. The second machine has three drives backed up - two of them have the full drive backed up and only certain files on the third drive. The backups are done daily (including weekends). We use one tape per week and it is changed out on Fridays so that we have a full backup on Friday and incrementals the balance of the week.

I guess I'll need to know how to create a backup set and second, do I have to define all of my tapes or can I do that as I go?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lisa

Hi

This is pretty standard stuff although it is really confusing at first. Here is an example of how to set this up. Assuming you only use 2 tapes:

-Create 1 backup script (say no to easy script)

-Add all of the drives and folders you want to back up to the source volumes section.

-Create 2 backup sets (Week A, Week B) and add both Week A and Week B in the destination section.

-Create a day of week schedule, check monday - thursday, change the weeks box to "2", normal backup to Week A.

-Create a day of week schedule, check Friday only, change the weeks box to "2", Recycle backup to Week B.

-Create a day of week schedule, change the start date to next monday, check monday - thursday, change the weeks box to "2", normal backup to Week B.

-Create a day of week schedule, Change the start date to next friday, check friday only, change the weeks box to "2", recycle backup to Week A.

This sets up a two week, two tape rotation where you do a full backup on fridays. You leave that tape in the drive for the weekend and until the following friday.

The key concept is setting the start date and weeks box. Setting the Weeks box to "1" means the schedule will run every week. Setting it to "2" means the schedule will run every other week and so on.

If you plan on using more tapes just increase the weeks box to match the number of sets you will use.

Clear as mud right?

Thanks

Nate

Archived