Duplicate Operations Questions

Norm Oliver

To Moderator:

I have a laptop running Windows 2000 and an external hard drive (E:) connected to the laptop for backup. No other equipment is involved.

I have installed Retrospect 6.5 Pro without problems and have been learning the program as well as reading the User's Guide. Nevertheless, I am still somewhat confused as to what the Duplicate command does and does not do.

Duplicate, at least for now, is my preferred backup operation while learning how to use Retrospect inasmuch as I want to read the files on the external hard drive in the original file system format.

Here are my questions. (I apologize for repeating questions that already may have been posted. I am still exploring the Forum content.)

1. I presently am copying the entire C: drive to the E: drive with the Duplicate command so as to have a current copy of my laptop files if the laptop fails between now and the next backup. When setting up the backup procedure, I did not specify a volume or subvolume other than selecting the C: drive as the source and the E: drive as the destination. Should I have done something more in designating volumes or subvolumes so as to make future backups efficient in terms of saving time and reducing hard drive cycling?

2. If I change and save a C: drive file, then run Duplicate/Replace Entire Volume, must I manually designate the C: drive file that has been changed for copying to the E: drive or does Retrospect automatically recognize the changed file on the C: drive and copy the changed file to the E: drive?

3. If I delete a file on the C: drive and then run Duplicate (using Replace Entire Volume or Replace Corresponding Files), does Retrospect automatically delete the corresponding file from the E: drive? If not, how does one designated a deleted file on the C: drive for deletion as well on the E: drive?

Thank you for your help.

Archived