Retrospect 6.5 Runs In 'Hidden" instantiation of account

harrow

Situation: Retrospect 6.5, XP-Pro

Backups are scheduled to auto-run every night. They run in the "Fish" account, which has Administrator privileges, and Retrospect's Preferences/Security choice is "Always run Retrospect as the specified user:

User: Fish

Password: xxxxxxxx

Log on to: A1K (this is the name of the local computer, not a domain name)

Indeed the backups normally do run successfully, and the Retrospect log indicates that the backup does indeed run in A1K\Jeff.

But -- for some reason Retrospect runs in what appears to be a hidden instantiation of the "Fish" account (which is the day-to-day "privileged" account that's used on this system).

Specifically, with Retrospect set to keep running after a backup, if I come in the next morning and log into the Fish account to see what Retrospect has done during the night, there is NO instance of Retrospect running on the desktop or in the task bar (although there IS an instance of Retrospect.exe visible in the Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del).

If I then run Retrospect from my logged-in Fish account, Retrospect gives me the dialog that goessomething like: 'other user is running Retrospect, click OK to close that and open Retrospect here'! If I click OK, after a minute or so I get a newly-run version of Retrospect running on my desktop, which is the only version of Retrospect.exe then running on the system.

The problem is that if the 'hidden' copy of retrospect calls for a tape mount or other user intervention, I can not see those messages. Then, if I force it to run in my real account as above, it has closed the original version of Retrospect, stopping that in-progress backup.

What Gives?

Jeff

Hi

You mentioned that the "fish" account is for the local machine right? When you log in are you logging into the domain "fish" account or the local "fish" account?

You might want to set up email notification in Retrospect. That will let you know when Retrospect needs media regardless of who is logged in.

Thanks

Nate

Archived