Can't eject CDs or logout quickly

I'm using Retrospect to back up to tape in OS X. If the app starts with nobody logged in & then I login, the app continues running in the foreground. I want to put a CD in the machine. Hitting the eject button on my keyboard, I can't eject the cd tray. Only once I quit Retrospect am I able to open the cd tray. My concern is that this machine is shared with other non-admin users, so they won't be able to quit Retrospect to be able to insert a cd. The other problem is that in order for them to logout, all open apps must quit. Retrospect won't quit without the admin password. Also, at least with a tape drive, it won't quit quickly, as it appears to rewind the tape (AIT2 autoloader) before quitting. Is it not possible to have the app run as root without the GUI when it autolaunches?

niels notes:

I'm using Retrospect to back up to tape in OS X. If the app starts with nobody logged in & then I login, the app continues running in the foreground. I want to put a CD in the machine. Hitting the eject button on my keyboard, I can't eject the cd tray. Only once I quit Retrospect am I able to open the cd tray

This is an Apple Thing, there's nothing Dantz can do to change this. Once Retrospect has loaded the CD driver the Apple driver is not present to use the keyboard shortcut. Blame Apple for taking away any button on the drive.

Is it not possible to have the app run as root without the GUI when it autolaunches?

Not this version. I'll bet that's the most asked for feature (actually you're asking for it to run as a daemon; it already runs as a root process).

Dave

The strange thing, is that Retrospect only hogs the CD after it has autolaunched while I was logged out. If I login, quit Retrospect & then allow it to restart itself while I'm logged in, I can still fully access the cd tray.

Archived